|Application Deadlines||Study Term|
Fall Semester (August - December)
Spring Semester (January - May)
*Please note that ALL application materials must be received in the Abroad at AU office by the application deadline*
Completing the Application
Step 1: Be approved through one of our partner organizations or institutions to study abroad for a semester or year
Check to see if your home institution is one of our partners.
Step 2: Submitting the Online Application
- Use the correct application form - Abroad at AU Application - and click the "Apply Now" button on the right to start.
- Use your name exactly as it appears on your passport.
- Use an email address that you regularly access and has a large capacity as an application log-in and all correspondence from our office will go to this email. *Students from Korea, we have had problems with @naver email accounts, please use a different email provider.
- You will receive a temporary log-in that you will need to use within 1 day to set your permanent password and complete the application.
- When entering information about your "Home" or "Permanent Home Address" use the address you live at when you are not at school. This is mostly likely your parent's house.
- When entering information about your "Current Mailing Address" use the address you live at while you are attending your home university, NOT American University's address. This is often also your permanent home address.
- Please ensure the citizenship information is entered correctly. Use the name of the country you are a citizen of, if you are a citizen of multiple countries list all.
- Do not fill out the section on current visa information if you have a tourist (B) visa. You need to fill out this information if you have a student visa from a different program or another non-tourist visa to the United States.
- You will be taken to your application page that lists all additional Material Submissions and Questionnaires you must finish before your application is considered complete.
Step 3: Send all remaining documents to the Abroad at AU Office
- In your online application all required documents have their own hyperlink detailing the requirements for the document. Once the item has been received or completed you will see it checked off in your online application.
- Create one PDF with the following supplemental documents and email to email@example.com:
- Completed Signature Verification Form
- Copy of the picture and signature page(s) of your passport.
- Completed CFIS Form
- Financial Documents
- Valid Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a professor that has taught you at the college level. The letter must be on official university letterhead with his/her signature.
- Submit an official university transcript from the university you currently attend (if the transcript is not in English, you will also need to provide a certified English translation).
Once we have received all materials from steps 2 and 3 of the application instructions above your application to Abroad at AU is complete. You will receive an email from our office when your application is complete. We will review your completed application and email a final admission decision. It normally takes 2-3 weeks from the time we receive a completed application to notify the student of our decision.
Letter of recommendation and official transcript should be mailed by post to the Abroad at AU Office. The documents must be originals (no copies) and addressed to:
AU Abroad-Abroad at AU Office
4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8039