Though students may pick courses from five schools at American University, some courses require students to have already completed previous classes in the subject before they can enroll in the course. Like other American University students, Abroad at AU students must be able to provide proof of completing and meeting any prerequisites listed for a course when required.
Additionally, not all courses are open to Abroad at AU students. Restrictions to course enrollment are outlined below.
No Graduate Level Course Work
Abroad at AU students can only enroll in undergraduate level courses (100-500 level). Student cannot take graduate level courses (600 and above). There are no exceptions to this.
No Courses Which Require Admission to Special Program
Abroad at AU students cannot enroll in courses that are within University Honors Program, University College Program, Washington Mentorship Program, or Washington Semester Program. These are special programs that students have been admitted into and are only for students in those programs.
Some schools do not allow Abroad at AU to enroll in all of their classes. Certain courses, or sections of courses, can be restricted to students receiving their degree from that school.
Kogod School of Business
Abroad at AU students are not allowed to register for the following courses in Kogod:
- KSB 100: Business 1.0 (in the Fall semester. Students can take this in the Spring semester)
- KSB 255: Strategic Business Communication
- KSB 356: Management Communication for Social Responsibility
- Any 500 level accounting course
- MGMT 458: Business Policy and Strategy
- To take any 400 level Finance course students must have completed one semester each of statistics, micro and macro economics in addition to any stated prerequisites.
- FIN 465: Derivative Securities
- FIN 575: CFA Level I Intensive Review
- FIN 500 level course: Student Management Investment Fund
- MKTG 412: Advertising & Promotion Campaigns
School of Communication
SOC only allows Abroad at AU students to enroll in some of their courses, not all of them. Here is the list of the allowable SOC courses Abroad at AU students can register for.