Required State Disclosures
Students enrolled in the University’s online degree programs and resident in the state of Maryland will receive tuition refunds in accordance with the Maryland Higher Education Commission's requirements as specified in Title 13B.05.01.10 of the Code of Maryland Regulations if they withdraw from classes.
Tuition refund policy
- Except as provided in §B of this regulation, an institution's refund policy shall conform to this regulation and the institution shall provide for refunds of tuition to Maryland students as provided in this regulation.
- If an institution's refund policy is more beneficial to Maryland students, the institution shall follow its refund policy and provide for refunds of tuition to Maryland students as provided in that policy.
- Minimum Refund.
(1) The minimum refund that an institution shall pay to a Maryland student who withdraws or is terminated after completing only a portion of a course, program, or term within the applicable billing period is as follows:
Proportion of Total Course, Program, or Term Completed as of Date of Withdrawal or Termination Tuition Refund Less than 10% 90% refund 10% up to but not including 20% 80% refund 20% up to but not including 30% 60% refund 30% up to but not including 40% 40% refund 40% up to but not including 60% 20% refund More than 60% No refund
American University is registered as a Private Institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.
Students enrolled in the University’s online degree programs and resident in the state of Wisconsin will receive tuition refunds in accordance with the state of Wisconsin’s Educational Approval Board (EAB) requirements as specified in Chapter EAB 8 of the EAB Regulatory Policy if they withdraw from classes.
Wisconsin students will receive a full refund of all money paid if the student:
- Cancels within the three-business-day cancellation period under EAB 6.04.
- Accepted was unqualified and the school did not secure a disclaimer under EAB 9.04.
- Enrollment was procured as the result of any misrepresentation in the written materials used by the School or in oral representations made by or on behalf of the School.
Refunds will be made within 10 business days of cancellation.
A student who withdraws or is dismissed after attending at least one class, but before completing 60% of the instruction in the current enrollment period, is entitled to a prorated refund as follows:
|At Least||But Less Than||Refund of Tuition|
As part of this policy, American University may retain a one-time application fee of no more than $100. The University will make every effort to refund prepaid amounts for books, supplies and other charges. A student will receive the refund within 40 days of termination date. If a student withdraws after completing 60% of the instruction, the University may refund a pro rata amount if withdrawal is due to mitigating circumstances beyond the student’s control.
Student must notify the University of his/her cancellation decision; however, a written notice is not required.