Skip to main content

Admitted Student Veteran Checklist

Follow Us On:

Facebook Twitter AU Ambassadors Blog Instagram Tumblr

Request Information


Undergraduate Admissions
Fax: 202-885-1025

Undergraduate Admissions
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016-8001

Admitted Student-Veteran Checklist

In addition to completing the tasks in the student enrollment package, active-duty personnel, veterans, and dependents should also complete this checklist to ensure that they receive all the benefits that they are entitled to here at American University.


  1. If you have not already done so, Apply for GI Bill Benefits.For questions regarding education benefit programs contact a Department of Veterans Affairs education representative at 1-888-442-4551 in order to discuss your education benefits.

  2. If you have elected to use Chapter 33 Post 9/11 benefits and are considered 100% eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program contact the office at 202-885-8012 for more information.

    Note: Eligible recipients of the Yellow Ribbon Program at AU are selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is very important that you contact the office immediately upon acceptance to inquire about Yellow Ribbon benefits. Once you have been awarded Yellow Ribbon you do not need to reapply each year. However, if you change degree programs, for example, you move from an undergraduate to a graduate program, you must reapply.

  3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to possibly receive additional student aid.

    Note: American University FAFSA code: 001434

  4. Once you have received your “Certificate of Eligibility” letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs, submit a copy along with a copy of your DD-214 to Valerie Verra.

    Note: If you have previously used VA educational benefits at another  university, you must also complete and submit VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).

  5. Contact your academic advisor and register for courses through myAU portal.
  6. Once you have registered for courses, complete AU’s Request for Certification of Enrollment for VA Benefits. This form must be submitted to Valerie Verra in AU Central prior to each semester.

    Note: If you add/drop classes and change the number of credit hours that you will be taking, you must submit the changes.


This network is for anyone who will be transferring to AU and those interested in finding out more about transferring to AU.

Visit Transfer2AU

More Information

For additional information on military credits, please contact:

Laura Davis
Assistant Director of Admissions
American University
Phone: 202-885-6000
Fax: 202-885-6014