Frequently Asked Questions

Follow Us On:

facebook icon twitter icon Instagram Icon tumblr_logo_white_blue_28

Request Information


  • Undergraduate Admissions
    Fax: 202-885-1025

Mailing Address
How many of my credits will transfer?

Up to 75 credits from a regionally accredited two-year institution or regionally accredited four-year institution may transfer with you to AU.

Additionally, all courses must meet the following requirements in order to transfer:

  • Grades of "C" or above
  • Content is beyond a technical level (e.g. keyboarding, car care, sewing)
  • Math courses: Pre-Calculus and above. We also accept Statistics

If all of my schools are presented on one transcript, do I still have to send transcripts from the other school?

Please have official transcripts sent from each postsecondary institution you have attended even if they appear together on a single document.

Do I have to send you all my transcripts if there are some that I do not care to get credit for?

Please send official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions you have attended even if there are some that you are not seeking credit for. Evaluation of your admissions application is based upon your cumulative grade point average; therefore each transcript factors into our final decision.

Can I use transfer credit to satisfy the General Education Requirements?

It is possible to satisfy all of the General Education Requirements with transfer credit, if the transfer courses are deemed equivalent to AU General Education courses. Prospective students should review the course articulation database to see which courses have already been evaluated and are considered AU General Education equivalents. Courses that are not listed in the database will be evaluated upon admission and students will be informed as to their applicability towards the General Education requirement.

Can I get military credits?

Yes, you can be awarded military credit. For more information on military credit, please visit our military credit guidelines page.

Is there on-campus housing?

On-campus housing is available but not guaranteed, regardless of your date of application. Students complete their housing applications when they submit their Enrollment Agreement Form (located in their admit packets or completed online at We encourage students to complete their admissions application by the March 1 priority consideration deadline. This will enable applicants to receive a timely admissions decision and therefore, complete their Enrollment Agreement Form early.

Which math class is required for graduation at AU?

All students must demonstrate the ability to pass the mandatory Finite Mathematics course required for graduation from AU. Admitted transfer students will take a math placement test to determine the appropriate level of math placement. Students that have taken Calculus I with a grade of “B” or better have already fulfilled the university math requirement and therefore do not need to take the placement test.

Are scholarships available for transfer students?

Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) scholarships are available to students who are members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Priority consideration is given to students who apply for fall semester by March 1. Students who would like to be considered should submit the following:

  • AU undergraduate application

  • Letter of recommendation/verification from your PTK advisor

  • Official transcripts indicating that you have completed at least 45 credit hours. A scholarship committee will determine statistical requirements per year.

Can a transfer student apply for financial aid?

Transfer students can apply for consideration for need-based financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS/Financial Aid Profile by the March 1 deadline. Please visit Applying for Financial Aid for specific information on the financial aid application process.

Spring applicants must submit all financial aid forms by March 1 of the previous year.

Is there an orientation program for transfer students?

The Office of New Student Programs conducts a two-day intensive orientation program (Transfer Transitions) for transfer students in July and August for all fall deposit paid students. Spring transfers are invited to a two-day orientation in January.

How soon will I be notified of my admissions decision?

Please refer to our Transfer Notification of Admission page for information regarding admissions decision notifications.

How can I learn about the status of my application?

We encourage you to create a prospective student portal account. The portal will indicate your application status.

Do I need a particular amount of credits to transfer? Do I need my associate's degree?

It is not necessary to have an associate‘s degree in order to transfer to AU. You may transfer at any point in your college career. Some students may transfer with as few as three credits and others may transfer with as many as 75 credits.

Do I need to submit my high school transcript and SAT scores?

If you apply with less than 24 credits, you must provide the admissions office with your official high school transcript and official college transcript(s). If you apply with 24 or more credits, simply provide your official college transcript(s). We do not require the submission of standardized test scores for transfer applicants.

Is there an English proficiency requirement for international students?

If English is not your native language, you must take the TOEFL (minimum score of 80 on the new Internet Based TOEFL-IBT). AU also has an institutional proficiency test that students may take (Kansas Exam). Students can meet the English proficiency requirement by taking English Composition I and II at a U.S. college/university with a grade of “C” or better. Finally, students may submit official SAT results with a minimum score of 530 on the Critical Reading section or official ACT results with a minimum English sub-score of 23.