The American University Alumni Awards are the highest honors presented by the AU Alumni Association on an annual basis. Selected through a highly competitive process, each recipient has made a lasting impact on society and on AU through outstanding professional, philanthropic, or volunteer accomplishments.
Alumni Achievement Award:
The Alumni Achievement Award recognizes alumni who have distinguished themselves through their professional accomplishments.
Alumni Recognition Award:
The Alumni Recognition Award recognizes alumni who inspire the world around them through service to the community or a philanthropic mission.
Alumni Eagle Award:
The Alumni Eagle Award recognizes alumni who have rendered outstanding service to the University and/or the Alumni Association.
Rising Star Award:
The Rising Star Award recognizes young alumni (those who received their undergraduate degree within the last 10 years) who are already making significant contributions to greater society through professional or philanthropic work.
- Each recipient must have attained notable achievement or made a lasting contribution in his or her professional, philanthropic, or voluntary endeavors.
- Each recipient must have earned a degree from American University.
- Each recipient is expected to attend the awards ceremony to accept his or her award, except in extraordinary circumstances.
- Awards will not be given posthumously.
- In highly exceptional circumstances, an alumnus/a who has already received one category of alumni award might receive an award in a different category at another point in time.
- The awards committee is not obligated to select a recipient from each category if applicants do not adequately meet the requirements.
Requirements for Nominations
- A separate nomination form must be completed for each nominee.
- In addition to the nomination form, nominators must submit a 1-3 page statement establishing the candidate's qualifications with clear and concise detail as to why he/she should be selected for the award, as well as an additional 1-3 letters of recommendation. Please limit the total number of supporting documents (NOT including the nomination form) to 10 pages.
- The Awards Committee, comprised of members of the American University Alumni Board, will not conduct independent research on a nominee, and the Committee will only consider information when it is part of a submitted nomination.
- The Awards Committee will also not consider nominations that consist solely of a nominee's resume.
- Incomplete nomination packets will NOT be considered.
How do I nominate an alumnus/a for an alumni award?
Please submit your nomination form online, along with the additional nomination statement and letter(s) of recommendation. The deadline is Friday, May 10, 2013. Please contact the Office of Alumni Relations via email or call 202-885-5968.