You’re well on your way to fulfilling your 2010 New Year’s resolutions, right? Whether you’re going to lose a few pounds, quit smoking, exercise more, eat more vegetables, or maybe even stop checking Facebook at the office, the Alumni Relations office suggests you bring one more resolution to the table: become more engaged with your alma mater.The opportunities range from sending us your updated e-mail address to volunteering for your local chapter. Consider these five ways to jump-start your new year by getting more involved with AU:
1. Tell us where you are to ensure that you receive all the latest news and invitations from the Office of Alumni Relations. american.edu/alumni/connected/Update-Your-Info.cfm
2. Join AU’s secure online community, inCircle, to reconnect with old pals, network, and job search. Registration is quick and easy, at: incircle.alumni.american.edu/american/auth/login
3. Start planning a vacation to our nation’s capital. Anytime is great, though we think the best time to visit is during Alumni & Family Weekend, October 22-24, 2010.
4. Donate your time by volunteering for a regional or international chapter, hosting a summer send-off party for incoming freshmen, or attending a chapter-sponsored community service event.
Upcoming volunteer opportunities include:
4/24 - Earth Day Service Event with the Denver Alumni Chapter in Denver
5. Register to attend an alumni event in your region.
Upcoming regional events include:
1/26 - Faculty on the Road with the Kogod School of Business in Miami
1/30 - Donuts & Double Jumps - Ice Skating with the Los Angeles Alumni Chapter in Pasadena, Calif.
2/11 - Eagles vs. Bucknell basketball Watch Party with the Philadelphia Alumni Chapter in Philadelphia
Upcoming, D.C. events include:
1/30 - Miss America Watch Party at the Mudbox Café in Bender Library
2/16 - Alumni Author Talk with James McGrath Morris '96. at the Mudbox Café in Bender Library
You’ll find a full listing of events available on the frequently updated Alumni Programs events calendar. Be sure to bookmark the page for future reference: american.edu/alumni/events/
Now that you’re armed with a few suggestions, the entire Alumni Relations staff wishes you a successful journey toward fulfilling your resolutions and a happy 2010!