The results of the 2010 National Survey of Student Engagement are in: American University students are scholarly, resourceful, global, curious, passionate, and active. But you knew that.
AU scored significantly higher than the nearly 600 participating colleges and universities across five benchmarks: academic challenge, enriching educational experience, active learning, student-faculty interaction, and supportive campus environment.
Among first-year students:
- 74% discuss ideas from coursework outside of class
- 66% write five or more 5-19 page papers
- 82% say AU places substantial emphasis on academics
- 83% participate in co-curricular activities
By senior year:
- 87% have completed an internship
- 83% frequently ask questions or contribute in class
- 74% have done community service
- 69% have taken a foreign language
- 58% have studied abroad
- 91% have discussed career plans with a professor or advisor
- 21% have done research with a faculty member
AU’s results are based on responses from 952 seniors and first-year students.