I have a new staff person starting soon. What do I need to do to get them set up on their computer?
If the computer is not new, you should have it reimaged so that your new person has a clean computer to start with. E-mail the IT Help Desk with this request, providing the building, room number, and contact name, and extension for the analyst to call to coordinate a visit. If you choose not to reimage the computer, you should run the MyIDProtector utility on it, to scan for the presence of confidential information, such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, and so on. The program is available for download on the my.american.edu portal under: Technology, Download Software, MyIDProtector. You may also wish to have an analyst visit your office to set up the computer for the new employee, to check for sensitive data, and to set up Lotus Notes and a Windows workstation account. Please contact the IT Help Desk to submit this request.
A: Follow the steps below if the employee is new to the university: Once Human Resources has finished processing the I-9 employment eligibility verification, the employee should create their accounts using the self-service form at https:// my.american.edu/accounts/. (If the employee is a student and now full-time staff, go to Section C as they should already have their portal account.
1. If Datatel access is needed, complete the Datatel Access Request Form at http://www.american.edu/technology/accounts. The request will be sent to the data custodian(s) for each security class, and if approved, they will ask the IT Help Desk to grant access. Contact the IT Help Desk if you need assistance determining what access to request.
2. Request EagleData access and roles. Send an e-mail to the IT Help Desk requesting EagleData access. Please include the following information: • Full name • User name • Date of Birth • 7-digit AU ID number • Phone number • Department • Supervisor/phone extension • Access security needed Contact the IT Help Desk if you need assistance determining what access to request.
3. Request access to required network drives aside from the departmental shared drive (I:), which is granted automatically when the portal account is created. Access to network drives must be requested by a supervisor or department head, and the request sent by e-mail to the IT Help Desk.
4. Request portal security classes or links that the staff person will need in order. Contact the IT Help Desk if you need assistance determining what access to request.
5. Request Notes ID file and password from the IT Help Desk. If it’s not already installed, download Lotus Notes from my.american.edu and install. Set up Lotus Notes. NOTE: It's very important to follow the instructions on the Help Desk Web site, as they contain information critical to the installation. Click on the link appropriate to your computer (Windows or Macintosh) at http://www.american.edu/technology/sites/helpdesk/content.cfm?id=94
6. Request access to any Lotus Notes groups (distribution lists), Notes databases, and departmental mailboxes that the employee is expected to use. This request must be sent by the Administrator of the Notes group, or the Manager of the database or mailbox, as appropriate.
7. Request access to any listserv mailing lists that the employee will be expected to administer or monitor as part of their job. This request must be made by the Owner of the list.
8. Set up a Windows workstation account where the user name matches the user name of the portal user name. Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE. Click on the plus sign beside LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS and then right-click on USERS. Select NEW USER and enter the USER NAME. Enter the PASSWORD twice, and click CREATE. Click on GROUPS, and then double-click ADMINISTRATORS. Click ADD and type the USER NAME and click OK twice. Close the Computer Management window.
B. Follow the steps below if the employee is changing positions at the university, or is a student entering a part-time position: If the employee is changing positions or is a student entering a part-time position, you will need to make the requests as in section A above, with the exception of creating the portal account, which should already be established. The account will need to be moved to a new container to give the employee access to the departmental shared drive, if so desired.
C. Follow the steps below if the employee is a student entering full-time employment:
1. If the student is entering full-time employment, the supervisor or manager must send e-mail to the IT Help Desk confirming that the student has been hired full-time. Include this information: • Full name • User name • Date of Birth • 7-digit AU ID number • Phone number • Department • Position • Supervisor/phone extension The IT Help Desk will then move the student to staff servers, grant access to the departmental shared drive, and create a user name in the staff format, if the employee so desires.
2. Then, follow the steps in section A above, with the exception of creating the portal account. Please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, e-mail email@example.com, or on instant messenger at AskAmericanUHelp for assistance and further information.