Expand AU Menu

Advising | Nondegree/Visiting Students


  • CAS Undergraduate Advising
    Fax: 202-885-2429
    Battelle Tompkins, Room 168

    Jones, Christina Noami
    Administrative Assistant

Mailing Address

Nondegree/Visiting Advising

Students who study at American University without formal admission may be eligible take classes in nondegree status and may be referred to as nondegree students. PLEASE NOTE: "Continuing Education" is now referred to as nondegree.

Studying in nondegree status does not require application for admission as there is no program to apply to. Instead, students request nondegree status for various reasons. Requesting nondegree status might be something students do if they're admitted to a program elsewhere but would like to take a class during a semester in Washington DC or if their school does not offer the course. Others request nondegree status when they need a class or certification for their job and others may take a few classes in nondegree status to improve their academic record and prepare for admission to a specific program.

While in nondegree status, undergraduate nondegree students (those who have not earned a bachelor's degree) must maintain a GPA of 2.00 each semester and graduate nondegree students must maintain a 3.00 GPA.

University Catalog and Academic Regulations

The 2014-2015 Academic Calendar lists important dates and deadlines for the Fall 2014 semester so you should review it thoroughly.

For a list of departments and programs in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS), please see the CAS homepage.

If you are considering applying to AU in the future, please meet with an academic advisor in the school that offers your major to discuss class options. You can find an advisor in the various schools below.

College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) academic advisor
School of Public Affairs (SPA)
School of International Service (SIS)
School of Communication (SOC)
Kogod School of Business (KSB)

Many nondegree students take advantage of the following AU programs:


You are eligible to study at American University at either the undergraduate or graduate level as long you meet all prerequisites or restrictions for the course as noted in the Schedule of Classes. Students admitted into a degree program at any other Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area schools are not permitted to take classes as a nondegree student. You must also be in good standing with any other college or university in which you are currently enrolled. Students suspended or dismissed from another institution during the past year are not eligible to enroll as nondegree students at AU. International students are not eligible for student visas under nondegree status.

Registration Dates and Deadlines

Spring 2015
The Spring semester begins Monday, 12 January. First time nondegree graduate students may register beginning 3 November. Undergraduate nondegree students are allowed to register beginning 8 December. Please be aware that late registration is in effect from 12 to 16 January and will incur a late fee.

To sign up for a class as a nondegree student for the first time, please visit AU Central

RETURNING STUDENTS: If you have taken a class as a non-degree student in the past, please email Mike Galaviz at mgalav@american.edu. Be sure to include your full name, AUID, the complete course number you're requesting. If there is a prerequisite listed on the Schedule of Classes, please be sure to note how you satisfy it by including the course information we would normally see on your transcript such as the complete course title and number, date taken, school and the grade you received.


Nondegree students pay the same tuition as admitted students, no matter the grade type you choose(i.e., A/F, Pass/Fail, or Audit). Please see the AU Registrar for current tuition and fees. A typical 3 credit hour course will have a tuition around $4,200, not including fees. Payment is made at the time you register for the course and can be done online using a checking or credit card or in person at AU Central located in Asbury 200.

Financial aid, grants, and merit awards are not available for nondegree study. To qualify for financial aid, students must apply for admission.

Nondegree Information Form

This form is only for NEW nondegree students. If you've taken classes in nondegree status before, see the information for Returning Students on this page.

Please feel free to use the Comments/Notes section to enter any questions, comments or concerns that you feel might be important as we review your information.

Nondegree Information Form