CAS Peer Advisor Positions Available for 2014-15
The College of Arts and Sciences is looking for new Peer Advisors for the 2014-15 academic year. If you are looking to get involved on campus and enjoy helping others, a CAS Peer Advisor position is right for you.
The main responsibilities of a CAS Peer Advisor include, but are not limited to: advising freshmen and sophomores (mainly undecided) on course selection, general education requirements, university requirements, and choosing a major; providing references to campus resources; and assisting in pre-registration activities including walk-in appointments, workshops, campus outreach, and preparation for registration clearance. Peer Advisors serve as an additional unit of academic support for CAS undergraduates in the Academic Advising Office (see "2014-15 Peer Advisor Application Information" for more detailed information on Peer Advisor duties).
To be eligible for the position, you must, at the time of application:
- Have an AU GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have 30 or more credits and at least one full year completed at AU as a CAS student*
- Have past leadership experience and/or interest in counseling/advising
- Be available for training and shadowing during April 2014**
- Have 8-10 hours per week availability for work during the 2014-15 academic year
- Be able to commit one academic year to the position (Fall 2014-Spring 2015)
- Demonstrate sensitivity to student confidentiality and ability to uphold federal guidelines
*Interested first year students will be considered and should contact Alicia Mandac, Academic Counselor, at email@example.com before applying
**Students studying abroad Spring 2014 are eligible to apply; special training opportunities can be arranged
Applications are due by Thursday, March 6, 2014, 5:00 p.m. Follow the directions below to correctly submit all materials. A complete application includes:
- Application: You are required to submit the application with all basic information. You will not be able to return and edit this form, so be prepared to answer all questions and submit in one sitting. You will also be asked to upload pdfs of your resume and responses to the short answer questions.
- Resume: We encourage you to consult with the Career Center about developing a professional resume.
- Short Answer Questions: Download questions using "Short Answer Questions" link; please type responses and submit with your application.
- References: Two references are required (at least one professional reference; no personal references). All references must be received by the March 6 deadline. The Reference Form can be found at the following link: www.american.edu/cas/advising/peer-reference-form.cfm.
Resume and Short Answer Question Responses should be uploaded and submitted with the online Application.
References must be submitted using the above link.
If you have any questions, please contact CASPeerAdvisors@american.edu or Alicia Mandac, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All interested applicants should attend an information session to learn more about the position. Information sessions will be held on:
- Monday, February 10, 12-1:00 p.m., Battelle 130 (History/Philosophy Lounge)
- Wednesday, February 19, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Battelle 130 (History/Philosophy Lounge)
- Friday, February 28, 12-1:00 p.m., Battelle 130 (History/Philosophy Lounge)
The current CAS Peer Advisors will be available at each session to answer your questions.
Visit our Alumni Page to see what past Peer Advisors are doing now!
Connect with the Peer Advisors
2014-15 Peer Advising Team
- Grace Cassidy, Literature & WGSS, 2016
- Joanna Dressel, Sociology, 2015
- Fatima Kamara, Psychology, 2015
- Brandon Klugman, Public Health, 2016
Program Coordinator: Alicia Mandac, Senior Academic Counselor
Program Assistant: Elaina Hundley