International Arts Management (Graduate Certificate) [CAS/PERF]
International Arts Management
Administered jointly by the School of International Service and College of Arts and Sciences (Department of Performing Arts), this certificate is a symbol of professional achievement widely recognized by international organizations, non-profit agencies, and corporate and government employers. The program is designed for individuals who want an advanced academic credential without necessarily enrolling in a degree program.
Admission to the Program
Open to students with a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited institution. Applicants must submit all official transcripts along with a one-page statement of purpose. International students whose native language is not English are required to submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) unless they hold a degree from a US-accredited institution prior to enrollment at American University. The minimum TOEFL score for full admissions consideration is 100 on the Internet-based test (iBT) or 600 on the paper-based test (PBT). The minimum IELTS score is 7.0.
- 18 credit hours of approved coursework with grades of C or better, with at least 6 credit hours at the 600-level or above. Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses are not accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA in certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period and complete the certificate in four years. International students must enroll in 9 credit hours each semester (except for summer). A maximum of 3 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit.
International Communication (9 credit hours)
- SIS-628 Advanced Topics in International Communication (1-3) : Public Diplomacy (3 credit hours required)
- SIS-642 Intercultural Relations (3)
- SIS-645 International Communication and Cultural Policy (3)
Arts Management (9 credit hours)
- PERF-596 Selected Topics: Non-Recurring (1-6) (approved topic)
- PERF-670 Survey of Arts Management (3)
- PERF-690 Independent Study Project in Performing Arts (1-6) (3 credit hours required)