Book a Language Coaching Session
* Coaching services for the Fall semester will start on Tuesday, September 2nd, and run through Friday, December 5th, 2014.
For best availability, book your coaching session in advance using the online booking system.
1. Click the booking button below,
2. Choose the language you need and
3. Select the time you want to come visit us:
Language coaching is offered at no charge to students enrolled in a language course at American University. It is available during CLEAR's regular operating hours.
For the most up-to-date availability, we encourage to kindly book your session in advance through the online booking system.
The policy governing the coaching of students in languages taught by the Department of World Languages and Cultures was coordinated and approved by the faculty of the department and identifies activities, and assistance coaches may provide while working with students.
Below is a list of areas for coaching services:
SPEAKING & LISTENING
• Conversation practice
• Oral comprehension
• Oral presentation rehearsal
• Review of recorded oral practice
• If students come for help with an oral or written presentation, coaches will ask leading questions and look for general problems (clarity, organization, grammatical points, etc.). The coaching sessions must be language sessions rather than coaches serving as copy editors. The students can then go back on their own to correct the remaining errors.
WRITING / STRUCTURAL
• Review of grammatical concepts
• If students come for help with workbook or grammar exercises, coaches will start them with one or two examples and only go over major concepts of the exercise.
• Collaborative review of completed homework exercises
• Any exercises or homework assignment must be completed or a reasonable attempt at completion must be apparent.
• Revising essays for clarity
• Polishing finished drafts
• Reviewing a final graded essay
TEST/EXAM PREP• Pre/post test review
• Coaches will NOT help students with anything marked "Exam" or "Take Home Exam" unless it has been graded by the professor.
• Coaches will NOT look up words in the dictionary or give answers.