Department of Economics
- Dr. Gunter is an international scholar in development economics. His areas of expertise include development macroeconomics, debt sustainability analysis, and the social impact of globalization. He is also interested in analyzing poverty reduction policies, macroeconomic development strategies, and the economic challenges of climate change. His current research focuses on development issues of Bangladesh. His work has been published in several pre-eminent international journals, including World Development, Development Policy Review, and Third World Quarterly. He serves as the President of the Bangladesh Development Research Center (BDRC) and has continuing engagements with various international developmental organizations.
DegreesPhD, Economics, American University
MA, Economics, Georgetown University
Diplom-Volkswirt, Albert-Ludswig University of Freiburg
Intermediate Examination in Law, University of Freiburg
Languages Spoken:English, German, some Spanish and French
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- CAS - Economics
- Kreeger - 105
- Mondays: 10:00 am - 3:30 pm; Thursdays: 10:00 am - 2:30 pm; and by appointment.
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
- ECON-363 Macroeconomics of Econ Devel
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Linking Social Development with the Capacity to Carry Debt: Towards an MDG-Consistent Debt Sustainability Concept, Development Policy Review, Vol. 27, No. 3 (may 2009), pp. 269-286 (with Jesmin Rahman and Haiyan Shi).
- Robbing Peter to Pay Paul? Understanding Who Pays for Debt Relief, World Development, Vol. 36, No. 1 (January 2008), pp. 1-16 (with Jesmin Rahman and Quentin Wodon).
- External Shocks and the HIPC Initiative: Impacts on Growth and Poverty in Africa, African Development Review, Vol. 17, No. 3 (December 2005), pp. 461-492 (with M. Nureldin Hussain).
- Analyzing Macro-Poverty Linkages: An Overview, Development Policy Review, Vol. 23, No. 3 (May 2005), pp. 243-265 (with Marc J. Cohen and Hans Lofgren).
- Analyzing Macro-Poverty Linkages of External Liberalization: Gaps, Achievements, and Alternatives, Development Policy Review, Vol. 23, No. 3 (May 2005), pp. 285-298 (with Lance Taylor and Erinç Yeldan).
- The Social Dimension of Globalization: A Review of the Literature, International Labour Review, Vol. 143, No. 1-2 (2004), pp. 7-43 (with Rolph van der Hoeven).
- What’s Wrong with the HIPC Initiative and What’s Next?, Development Policy Review, Vol. 20, No. 1 (March 2002), pp. 5-24.
- Financial Crises and the Great Depression in Germany, Essays in Economic and Business History, Vol. 13 (1995), pp. 55-70.
Books and Monographs
- Climate Change and Bangladesh – Annotated Bibliography (with A. M. Kamal Uddin, Shamim Begum, Nasimul Haque, and Ralf Ernst), Dhaka: Comprehensive Disaster Management Program, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh; and Falls Church, VA: Bangladesh Development Research Center, 2008 (first and second editions) and 2009 (third and fourth editions).
- World Trade: Toward Fair and Free Trade in the Twenty-first Century (edited with Jo Marie Griesgraber), London: Pluto Press, 1997.
- The World's Monetary System: Toward Stability and Sustainability in the Twenty-first Century (edited with Jo Marie Griesgraber), London: Pluto Press, 1996.
- The World Bank: Lending on a Global Scale (edited with Jo Marie Griesgraber), London: Pluto Press, 1996.
- Development: New Paradigms and Principles for the Twenty-first Century (edited with Jo Marie Griesgraber), London: Pluto Press, 1996.
- Promoting Development: Effective Global Institutions for the Twenty-first Century (edited with Jo Marie Griesgraber), London: Pluto Press, 1995.
- “Analyzing Debt Sustainability: An Application of SimSIP Debt for Paraguay” (with Quentin Wodon), in: Blanca Moreno-Dodson and Quentin Wodon (eds.) Public Finance for Poverty Reduction: Concepts and Case Studies from Africa and Latin America (Washington, DC: World Bank, 2008), pp. 165-188 (Chapter 6).
- “Analyzing Debt Sustainability: Concepts and Tools Applied for Guinea, Rwanda, and Senegal” (with Quentin Wodon), in: Blanca Moreno-Dodson and Quentin Wodon (eds.) Public Finance for Poverty Reduction: Concepts and Case Studies from Africa and Latin America (Washington, DC: World Bank, 2008), pp. 311-344 (Chapter 10).
- “The Social Dimension of Globalization: A Review of the Literature” (with Rolph van der Hoeven), in: John D. Daniels and Jeffrey A. Krug (eds.) International Business and Globalization, Volume I: The Growth, Consequences, and Future of Globalization (London and Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc., 2007), pp. 101-135 (Chapter 6).
- “Achieving Debt Sustainability in Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPCs)”, in: Ariel Buira (ed.) Challenges to the World Bank and IMF: Developing Country Perspectives (London: Anthem Press, 2003), pp. 91-117 (Chapter 4).
- “Reforming the International Monetary System Towards a World Central Bank: A Summary of Proposals and Fallacies”, in: Jo Marie Griesgraber and Bernhard G. Gunter (eds.), The World's Monetary System: Toward Stability and Sustainability in the Twenty-first Century, (London: Pluto Press, with Center of Concern, 1996), pp. 115-135 (Chapter 6).
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Community Service Award (World Bank), 1997
- Simon Naidel Prize (Economics Department, American University), 1996