Department of Philosophy and Religion
Please contact at email@example.com.
Jeffrey Reiman is the William Fraser McDowell Professor Emeritus of Philosophy and Social Policy. He was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1942. After receiving his PhD, he joined the American University faculty in 1970, in the Center for the Administration of Justice (now called the Department of Justice, Law and Society of the School of Public Affairs). After several years of holding a joint appointment in the Justice program and the Department of Philosophy and Religion, Dr. Reiman joined the Department of Philosophy and Religion full-time in 1988, becoming Director of the Master’s Program in Philosophy and Social Policy. He was named William Fraser McDowell Professor of Philosophy in 1990. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi honor societies, and past president of the American University Phi Beta Kappa chapter. Professor Reiman has authored seven books, and more than a hundred articles in journals and anthologies.
DegreesPhD, Pennsylvania State University; BA, Queens College
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Theoretical and applied ethics, political and legal philosophy, and the history of philosophy
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- William Fraser McDowell Professor of Philosophy
- Fulbright Scholar in India during 1966-67
- The Rich Get Richer and the Poor Get Prison: Ideology, Class, and Criminal Justice, co-edited with Paul Leighton (9th edition, 2010; editions 1 through 8 were authored solely by Jeffrey Reiman)
- Criminal Justice Ethics, co-edited with Paul Leighton (2001)
- Abortion and the Ways We Value Human Life (1999)
- The Death Penalty: For and Against (with Louis P. Pojman, 1998)
- Critical Moral Liberalism: Theory and Practice (1997)
- Justice and Modern Moral Philosophy (1990)
- In Defense of Political Philosophy (1972)
AU News and Achievements
College of Arts and Sciences Honors Retiring Faculty
Seven distinguished faculty members retire after long careers at AU....
Philosophy & Social Policy Conference Honors Professor
20th annual McDowell Conference celebrates groundbreaking work of Professor Jeffrey Reiman....