Work In Progress
Recent conference presentations:
Recent invited lectures:
- "Melodrama and Apocalypse: The Melodramatic Mode in Contagion." Society for CInema and Media Studies, Chicago, 2017.
- “Artificial People in The Twilight Zone, 1959-1964.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Atlanta, March 2016.
- “Cinematic Melodrama in the 1960s and 70s.” American Comparative Literature Association. Presenter for Seminar: “Comparative Melodrama” organized by Matthew Buckley, Rutgers University. ACLA Boston, March 2016.
- “Technology on Stage: Karel Čapek’s R. U. R., Eugene O’Neill’s Dynamo, and the Question of Technology in the 1920s.” Science Fiction Research Association, Stony Brook, June 2015.
- “Family Melodrama in the 21st Century.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Chicago, March 2013. “Language, Race, and Impersonality.” Modern Language Association, MLA Special Session on “Barbara Johnson’s Last Works.” Boston, January 2013.
- “Fresh New World: Fantasies of Earth and the Aesthetics of Closure in Battlestar Galactica.” Science Fiction Research Association, SFRA Annual Conference, Detroit, June 2012.
- “War and Meaning: Resisting Closure in The Hurt Locker.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Boston, March 2012.
- "Robots in Popular Culture," Author Lecture for Escape Velocity Convention, Museum Of Science Fiction, Washington DC. September 2017. Visit: escapevelocity.events/
- Featured speaker for "Cyborg Futures: Animal Life and Social Robots Workshop," Saint Mary's University, Nova Scotia. April 2017.
- “Robots and Slaves: History, Allegory and the Structural Logic of the Robot Story.” Center for Cultural Studies, University of California at Santa Cruz, May 2014.
- “Melodrama and Apocalypse: Genre, Politics and The End of the World.” Invited talk for “Screen Melodrama: Global Perspectives,” Columbia University and New York University, February 2013.
- “At Home and at War: The American Pinup in the 1930s and 40s.” Winthrop University Galleries Exhibition, “Between the Springmaid Sheets.” Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC. October 8, 2012.