Department of Economics
- Xuguang (a.k.a. Simon) Sheng is an Assistant Professor of Economics at American University. His research interests include econometric theory, applied econometrics, empirical macroeconomics, economic and financial forecasting. He has published in Journal of Econometrics, Journal of Applied Econometrics, Journal of Accounting and Economics and Oxford Handbook on Economic Forecasting.
DegreesPhD, Economics, University at Albany, SUNY
BA, Economics, Renmin University of China
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- CAS - Economics
- Kreeger - 119
- W 10-12
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Professor Sheng’s current research focuses on panel unit root and cointegration, p-value combination methods, measuring forecast uncertainty and evaluating financial analysts' forecasts.
Truncated Product Methods for Panel Unit Root Tests (with J. Yang), forthcoming in Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics.
- A New Measure of Earnings Forecast Uncertainty (with M. Thevenot), Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2012, vol. 53, pp. 21-33.
- Panel Unit Root Tests by Combining Dependent P-values: A Comparative Study (with J. Yang), Journal of Probability and Statistics, 2011, vol. 2011, article ID 617652, 17 pages.
- Analyzing Three-dimensional Panel Data of Forecasts (with A. Davies and K. Lahiri), in M.P. Clements and D.F. Hendry (eds.) Oxford Handbook on Economic Forecasting, 2011, pp. 473-495, Oxford University Press.
- Measuring Forecast Uncertainty by Disagreement: The Missing Link (with K. Lahiri), Journal of Applied Econometrics, 2010, vol. 25, pp. 514-538.
- Evolution of Forecast Disagreement in a Bayesian Learning Model (with K. Lahiri), Journal of Econometrics, 2008, vol. 144, pp. 325-340.
Work In Progress
- Combinations of "Combinations of P-values" (with L. Cheng), submitted.
- An Adaptive Truncated Product Method for Combining Dependent P-values (with J. Yang), submitted.
- Information Environment and the Cost of Capital: A New Approach (with O. Barron and M.Thevenot)
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- International Travel Award, American University, 2012
- Heinz König Young Scholar Award Endowed With Prize Money of Euro 5,000, The Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW) in Mannheim, 2010
- Distinguished Doctoral Dissertation Award, SUNY at Albany, 2008
- Pong Lee Award for Excellence in Teaching, SUNY at Albany, 2007
- Fei Xiaotong Award for Promising Scholars, Renmin University of China, 2001
- Hong Kong Xinshan Award for Promising Scholars, Renmin University of China, 2000
- Awards for Outstanding Students, Renmin University of China, 1997, 1998
Area of Expertise: Econometric theory, applied econometrics, analysis of economic survey data, time series modeling, forecasting, monetary economics
Additional Information: Xuguang (Simon) Sheng's current research focuses on panel unit root and cointegration, p-value combination methods, forecast uncertainty measurement, and term structure of survey forecasts. He has published in the Journal of Econometrics, Journal of Applied Econometrics, International Journal of Forecasting, and Oxford Handbook on Economic Forecasting. He has recently won the Heinz Konig Young Scholar Award from the Center for European Economic Research (ZEW).
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.
AU News and Achievements
New Econ Professor Awarded for Forecasting Research
Economics professor Xuguang Sheng won an international award in June for his research on economic forecasters....