Admission to the Program
In addition to meeting the minimum university requirements for admission, applicants must have an undergraduate degree in mathematics or a related field. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required. Students entering the MA program without the appropriate background will be expected to take certain undergraduate courses as prerequisite work.
- 30 credit hours of approved graduate coursework including thesis or nonthesis option requirements
- Tool of research: proficiency in Russian, German, French, or an approved computer language
- Written comprehensive examination in mathematics
- Research requirement:
- Thesis option: MATH-797 Master's Thesis Research (1-6) (6 credit hours required) and an oral defense of the thesis
- Nonthesis option: MATH-690 Independent Study Project in Mathematics (1-6) (3 credit hours required) (topic to be chosen in consultation with a faculty member) requiring an oral and written presentation of the research work and 3 credit hours in approved graduate-level independent research, seminar, or research course.
- All coursework for the thesis or nonthesis option must be completed with grades of B or better.