The Applied Music Program in the Department of Performing Arts provides students with private one-on-one instruction with a member of our applied music faculty. Applied Music study is a requirement of all music majors, and included in the curriculum of many performing arts courses of study.
In order to register for Applied Music lessons for university credit (MUS-121, 122, 791, 792), you must fulfill ONE of the following credit requirements:
- officially declared a major or minor in Music prior to registration.
- officially declared a major or minor in Theatre or Musical Theatre prior to registration.
- officially declared a major in Audio Technology prior to registration.
- officially declared a major in Business and Music prior to registration.
- enrolled in the graduate Arts Management program prior to registration.
- enrolled or actively participating in one of the following DPA ensembles during the intended semester of private study: AU Symphony Orchestra, AU Chorus, Chamber Ensembles, Chamber Singers, Gospel Choir, Jazz Ensemble, or Pep Band.
- will be actively involved in a DPA mainstage production which requires vocal or instrumental performance during the intended semester of private study.
Students who do not match one of these requirements have the option of taking private lessons for non-credit (MUS-021 and MUS-022) with an increased course fee.
All students registering for Applied Music (MUS-121, 122, 334, 434) must register for and attend AMPL, a mandatory Applied Music Performance Lab (MUS-001). This zero credit lab is scheduled for Wednesdays from 11:45-1:00 pm in the Abramson Family Recital Hall, Room 160. Requirements for all registrants will be provided by your instructor as part of your Applied Music syllabus. Students take this course as a Pass/Fall option only, not for a grade option.
Contact Music Program Director, Nancy Jo Snider, at 202-885-3872 or email@example.com to register or to have questions answered.
Please see individual instructors on Music Faculty page.