Postbaccalaureate Premedical (Undergraduate Certificate)
Postbaccalaureate work consists of academic study undertaken after earning a bachelor's degree. American University's Postbaccalaureate Premedical Certificate program is designed to complete basic requirements and strengthen credentials for application to health professional schools of human medicine (MD or DO), dentistry (DDS), veterinary medicine (DVM), podiatry (DPM), optometry (OD), and oral surgery (DMD), and to advanced degree programs in the allied health sciences such as public health (MPH) and physician assistant, nurse practitioner, and physical therapy programs leading to the MS or PhD degree.
This program offers students extensive guidance and assistance in preparing for professional school and a career. With the help of advisors they polish resume and essay-writing skills, prepare for the Medical College Aptitude Test (MCAT) or other admissions examinations, practice medical school interviews, select potential professional schools, and address related financial issues. Through the program, students may also attend seminars by health professionals, identify volunteer opportunities, and be matched with a mentor. Each emerges with a composite letter of evaluation, held with letters of recommendation in a personal file. The premedical programs coordinator sends these letters to professional schools for students and assists them in meeting all application deadlines.
Admission to the Program
Open to students with a bachelor's degree and a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 (on a 4.00 scale) overall and in science and mathematics courses, if taken.
The following courses are required for admission to medical school and to many other health professional schools. Once enrolled in the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Certificate program, any of these courses not already completed must be taken at American University.
- BIO-110 General Biology I FA5 (4) 4
- BIO-210 General Biology II FA5 (4) 4
- CHEM-110 General Chemistry I FA5 (4) 4
- CHEM-210 General Chemistry II FA5 (4) 4
- CHEM-310 Organic Chemistry I (3) 3
- CHEM-312 Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (1) 1
- CHEM-320 Organic Chemistry II (3) 3
- CHEM-322 Organic Chemistry II Laboratory (1) 1
- MATH-221 Calculus I (4) 4
- PHYS-110 Principles of Physics I FA5 (4) 4
- PHYS-210 Principles of Physics II FA5 (4) 4
A minimum of 24 hours of coursework taken in residence at American University, including:
One of the following sets of two courses:
- BIO-435 Vertebrate Physiology with Laboratory (4) 4 and
- BIO-440 Microbiology with Laboratory (4) 4
- CHEM-465 Biochemistry I (3) 3 and
- CHEM-466 Biochemistry II (3) 3
6-9 credit hours from the Basic Requirements list above or the following: