Some students who have emphasized CBT training while at AU have gone on to secure faculty positions in psychology departments at:
- William Paterson University (Wilson McDermut)
- Williams College (Ari Solomon)
- University of Cincinnati (Giao Tran)
and psychiatry departments at:
- Harvard University (Ellen Burgess)
- Tulane University (Alison Edwards Laster)
Often these positions are obtained subsequent to completion of postdoctoral clinical research fellowships such as our students have obtained at:
- Stanford University (Ari Solomon)
- Brown University (Wilson McDermut, Ellen Burgess)
- Providence VA (Jennifer McDermut)
- Boston VA National Center for PTSD (Dana Rabois)
- Johns Hopkins University (Giao Tran)
Students emphasizing CBT and electing to pursue applied positions have also faired well in the job market, securing staff positions at (among others):
- Georgetown University (Elisha Tarlow Friedman)
- St. Joseph's Hospital Center for Eating Disorders (Sarah Hubbard)
- Catholic University of America Counseling Center (John Chamberlain)
Whether or not students aspire to careers in clinical research, our faculty strongly encourage students to publish the results of their research and thereby contribute to the scientific basis of the field. Recent publications first-authored by AU students include:
- Friedman, E. T., Schwartz, R. M., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2002). Are the very happy too happy? Journal of Happiness Studies, 3, 355-372.
- Gore, K. L., Carter, M. M., & Parker, S. (2002). Predicting anxious response to a social challenge: The predictive utility of the social interaction anxiety scale and the social phobia scale in a college population. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 40, 689-700.
- Hartman-Hall, H. M., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2002). College students' willingness to seek help for their learning disabilities. Learning Disability Quarterly, 25, 263-274.
- Leit, R. A., Gray, J. J., & Pope, H. G. (2002). The media's representation of the Ideal Male Body: a Cause for Muscle Dysmorphia (2002). International Journal of Eating Disorders, 31, 334-338.
- Rabois, D., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2002). Facilitating police-minority youth attitude change: The effects of cooperation within a competitive context and exposure to typical exemplars. Journal of Community Psychology, 30, 189-195.
- Terrill, D. R., Friedman, D. G., Gottschalk, L. A., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2002). Construct validity of the Life Orientation Test. Journal of Personality Assessment, 79, 550-563.
- Tran, G. Q., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2002). Coping responses and alcohol outcome expectancies in alcohol abusing and nonabusing social phobics. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 26, 1-17 [abstracted in Alcohol Research, 7, 128-129].
- Gore, K. L., & Carter, M. M. (2003). Incorporating the family in the cognitive behavioral treatment of an African-American female suffering from panic disorder with agoraphobia. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 14, 73-92.
- Rabois, D., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2003). The influence of cognitive coping and mood on smokers' self-efficacy and temptation. Addictive Behaviors, 28, 561-573.
- Solomon, A., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2003). Reconsideration of self-complexity as a buffer against depression. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 27, 579-591.
- Chamberlain, J. M., Haaga, D. A. F., Thorndike, F. P., & Ahrens, A. H. (2004). Metatraits and assessment of attributional style. Journal of Psychology, 138, 521-531.
- Freedman, R. E. K., Carter, M.M., Sbrocco, T., & Gray, J. J. (2004). Ethnic preferences for female weight and waist-to-hip ratio: A comparison of African-American and White-American college and community samples. Eating Behaviors, 5, 191-198.
- Friedman, S. R., & Weissbrod, C. S. (2004). Gender differences in the continuation of family rituals. Sex Roles, 50, 277-284.
- Pearlman, M. Y., Wernicke, R., Thorndike, F. & Haaga, D. A. F. (2004). Stages of change in smoking cessation: A comparison of expectancies among precontemplators and contemplators. Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, 22, 131-147.
- Sypeck, M.F., Gray, J.J., & Ahrens, A. H. (2004). No longer just a pretty face: Fashion magazines' depictions of ideal female beauty from 1959-1999. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 36, 342-347.
- Cintron, J. A., Carter, M. M., Suchday, S., Sbrocco, T., & Gray, J. (2005). Factor structure and construct validity of the anxiety sensitivity index among island Puerto Ricans. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 19, 51-68.
- Hill, L. D., Gray, J. J., Carter, M. M., & Schulkin, J. (2005). Obstetrician-gynecologists decision making about the diagnosis of major depressive disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology, 26, 41-51.