The Stress and Emotion Laboratory is a clinical research laboratory in the Department of Psychology at American University directed by Dr. Kathleen Gunthert. Doctoral students, masters students, and undergraduate students work collaboratively on a range of projects under the supervision of Dr. Gunthert. Research in the Stress and Emotion Laboratory focuses on the influence of everyday stress and emotion regulation on depression, anxiety, and psychotherapy outcomes. Specifically, we use intensive daily monitoring techniques to address how everyday mood regulation variables, including coping strategies and emotional reactivity to stress, are associated with the development and maintenance of depression and anxiety symptoms.
* Chue, A.E., Gunthert, K.C., Ahrens, A.H., & Skalina, L.M. (in press). How does social anger expression predict later depression symptoms? It depends on how often one is angry. Emotion.
* Hughes, C., Gunthert, K., * German, R., & * Wenze, S. (2015). The subscale specificity of the Affective Control Scale: Ecological validity and predictive validity of feared emotions. Motivation and Emotion. 39(6), 984-992.
* Skalina, L., Gunthert, K., Ahrens, A., & * Wenze, S. (2015). The influence of neuroticism on covariation of negative and positive emotion. Personality and Individual Differences, 75, 165-169.
* Greenfield, M., Gunthert, K., & * Forand, N. (2014). Sex Differences in the Effect of Neuroticism on Interpersonal Interaction Quality. Individual Differences Research, 12.
* Hutchison, J. & Gunthert, K. (2013). Development and validation of a measure of Beliefs in Automatic Mood Regulation. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 37, 1243-1256.
* Wenze, S. J., Gunthert, K. C., Ahrens, A. H., & * Bos, T. C. T. (2013). Biases in short-term mood prediction in individuals with depression and anxiety symptoms. Individual Differences Research, 11, 91-101.
* Wenze, S., Gunthert, K., & * German, R. (2012). Influence of dysphoria and anxiety on affective forecasting and recall errors. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
* Forand, N., Gunthert, K., Cohen, L., Butler, A., & Beck, J. (2011). Preliminary evidence that anxiety is associated with accelerated treatment response in cognitive therapy for major depression. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 35, 150-161.
* Wenze, S., Gunthert, K., & * Forand, N. (2011). Cognitive reactivity as a prospective predictor of dysphoric symptoms. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 34, 556-562.
* Forand, N., Gunthert, K., * German, R., & * Wenze, S. (2010). Appearance investment and everyday interpersonal functioning: An experience sampling study. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 34, 380-393.
* Wenze, S., Gunthert, K., * Forand, N., & Laurenceau, J. P. (2009). The influence of dysphoria on reactivity to naturalistic fluctuations in anger. Journal of Personality, 77, 795-824.
* denotes student author