All students graduating with a major or minor in public health will be able to:
1. Understand and describe essential services that public health programs provide to protect and improve the health of populations.
ASSESSMENT: “Public Health in the News” assignment in PUBH110 Introduction to Public Health
2. Use research tools and analytical methods to critically analyze, monitor and assess the health status of populations.
ASSESSMENT: Assignment/exam question in PUBH340 Fundamentals of Epidemiology
3. Understand the impact of policies and legislation on individual and population health.
ASSESSMENT: Exam question in PUBH110 Introduction to Public Health
All students graduating with a major in public health will also be able to:
4. Understand cultural differences among populations and interact sensitively, effectively, and professionally with persons from diverse backgrounds.
ASSESSMENT: Question on employer evaluation form for PUBH391 Internship in Public Health
5. Apply public health principles to a current public health-related issue.
ASSESSMENT: Final report in PUBH391 Internship in Public Health and Team Project in PUBH480 Public Health Senior Capstone
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in public health will also be able to:
6. Compare and contrast health challenges encountered in different regions across the globe and understand the variety of strategies employed to address them.
ASSESSMENT: Assignment in SIS221 Global Health
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Science in public health will also:
6. Be familiar with microorganisms that cause the most common infectious diseases around the globe, as well as methods to identify these organisms and treat and/or prevent the disease.
ASSESSMENT: Exam question in PUBH320 Introduction to Infectious Disease