Graduate Certificate in Bilingual Education
This certificate program prepares educators and policymakers who plan to work in the field of bilingual education both domestically and internationally. The program provides candidates with up-to-date knowledge of the foundations, social contexts, and pedagogical approaches of bilingual education from an interdisciplinary and collaborative curriculum. In addition, the program will create conditions for the students to gain hands-on experience in bilingual education through existing SETH and TESOL partnerships with schools and language education programs in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
Admission to the Program
Applications must include transcripts of all college work, AARTS transcripts or equivalent, a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate work and in all graduate work, a statement of purpose, and two letters of recommendations. Admission to the certificate program constitutes admission to the Bilingual Education Program.
- 18 credit hours of approved graduate work,with grades of C or better Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses are not accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPAin certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period and complete the certificate in four years. International studentsmust enroll in 9 credit hours each semester (except for summer). Amaximum of 6 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit.
- EDU-650 International Perspectives on Bilingual Education Policy and Practice (3)
- EDU-651 Social Context of Bilingual Learners (3)
- TESL-500 Principles of Linguistics (3)
- TESL-522 Language Acquisition (3)
- TESL-528 Foundations of Bilingual Education (3)
One of the following:
- EDU-652 Bilingual Education Capstone (3)
- EDU-685 Proseminar in International Education (3)
- TESL-620 English Language Teaching III (3)