Special Education MA Degree Requirements
- 36 credit hours of approved graduate work
- Option to waive course work: Students with the appropriate prior study or professional experience in the field of education may be permitted to waive up to 6 credit hours of course work without replacement. The waiving of credit hours and the specific courses to be waived are determined and approved by the advisor and the SETH dean upon admission to a master’s program. In addition, one of the following may be required: an assessment provided by an educational institution or organization which has criteria and evaluation procedures approved by the School of Education, Teaching and Health; or a portfolio developed in a one-credit independent study offered by SETH and submitted for evaluation and approval to the advisor and SETH dean.
- Comprehensive examination
- All students must complete the Praxis II Exam prior to graduation. Click here for Praxis information.
- EDU-502 Methods of Managing Students with Behavior Disorders (3)
- EDU-545 Overview of All Exceptionalities: The Arts in Special Education (3) or EDU-541 Foundations of Special Education for Exceptional Children (3)
- EDU-605 Methods of Psychoeducational Assessment for Learning Disabilities and Emotional Disturbance (3)
- EDU-606 Theories and Methods of Diagnostic and Remedial Mathematics (3)
- EDU-607 Research Seminar in Special Education (3)
- EDU-620 Theories of Educational Psychology and Human Development (3) (or an elective approved by the student’s advisor)
- EDU-644 Language Development and Remediation (3)
- EDU-645 Learning Disabilities I (3)
- EDU-646 Learning Disabilities II (3)
- EDU-671 Foundations of Reading: Diagnosis and Remediation (3)
- EDU-792 In-Service Training Project (6)