Yuval Elovici will give the keynote address, “The Internet of Things: The New Frontier of Cyber Conflict ” to open the two day conference, "Cyber Security in an Age of Uncertainty: U.S.-Israel Perspectives?"
Professor Elovici, a member of Ben-Gurion University’s Department of Information Systems Engineering, is the director of the University’s Cyber Security Research Center. He is also the director of the Deutsche Telekom Innovation Labs@BGU, a ten-year collaboration between Deutsche Telekom and BGU focusing on mobile data protection.
Co-sponsored by Center for Israel Studies, Internet Governance Lab, School of International Service, School of Communication, Washington College of Law, Kogod Cybersecurity Governance Center, Kogod Business in the Capital, and Kogod School of Business in partnership with American Associates, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.
Additional Co-sponsors (in formation) include Maryland/Israel Development Center (MIDC), Future of Privacy Forum, Internet Society Washington DC Chapter and Christian Science Monitor's Passcode. The conference is generously supported by the Bender Foundation in loving memory of Howard Bender and Sondra D. Bender, former AU Trustee.
Day 2 of the conference will take place at the Washington College of Law Claudio Grossman Hall.
Through a series of four expert panels, the conference will explore cutting-edge U.S.-Israeli cyberpolicy issues involving national security, crime, human rights, and the digital economy. Topics to be discussed include active cyber military operations, Internet freedom, cybertheft, and technological capabilities. Each panel will explore the responsibilities of various governmental agencies as well as the roles of the private sector and the public in each country.
- Amir Becker, Cyber Attaché, Israel National Cyber Directorate, Embassy of Israel
- Eli Ben-Meir, Cygov
- Erran Carmel, AU Kogod School of Business
- Jennifer Daskal, Associate Professor, WCL, American University and former Counsel to the Assistant Attorney General for National Security, U.S. Department of Justice
- Laura DeNardis, American University Professor and Senior Fellow of the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI)
- Prof. Yuval Elovici, Director of Ben-Gurion University’s Cyber Security Research Center
- Eldar Haber, University of Haifa
- Rebekah Lewis, Co-director, Kogod Cybersecurity Governance Center
- Jonathan Meyer, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLC, former Deputy General Counsel, Department of Homeland Security
- Ran Nahmias, Head of Threat Prevention & Data Center Security in the Americas, Check Point Software Technologies, Ltd.
- Eric Novotny, AU School of International Service and U.S. Department of State
- Amir Rapaport, Founder and Editor in Chief of Israel Defense and founder, Israel Cybertech conference
- Gabe Rottman, Deputy Director of the Freedom, Security and Technology Project, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Camille Stewart, Cyber, Technology, and Intellectual Property Attorney; Former Senior Policy Advisor, International Cyber & Critical Infrastructure, US Dept. of Homeland Security
- Lior Tabansky, Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Centre at the University of Tel Aviv (TAU-ICRC)
- Melanie Teplinsky Washington College of Law, American University
- Stephen Thomas, Vice President of Sales, Cyberbit
Schedule March 21:
- Networking breakfast and Registration Sponsored by MIDC 8:00-9:00 AM
- Welcome and Greetings 9:00-9:15 AM
- Panel 1 - 9:15-10:45 AM - Cybersecurity and Human Rights - Laura DeNardis, Chair
- Coffee Break 10:45-11:00 AM
- Panel 2 - 11:00-12:30 PM -The Cybersecurity Industry - Erran Carmel, Chair
- Lunch 12:30-1:30 PM Keynote - Congressman Jim Langevin (D-RI), invited
- Panel 3: 1:30-3:00 PM - Cybertheft Panel - Melanie Teplinsky and Rebekah Lewis, Co-chairs
- Coffee break 3:00-3:15 PM
- Panel 4: 3:15-4:45 PM - Cyber Security and National Security Policies—the US and Israel - Eric Novotny, Chair
- RSVP Required:
- Conferences. Panels. Speakers
- Center for Israel Studies
- Computer Science
- Kogod Cybersecurity Governance Center (KCGC)
- Kogod School of Business
- School of Communication
- School of International Service
- WCL: Washington College of Law
- Laura Cutler
- Event Website: