Admission to the Program
Formal admission to the major requires department approval.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 42 credit hours with grades of C or better; no more than 9 credit hours may be at the 100- or 200-level
Required (18 credit hours)
- SOCY-100 U.S. Society FA4 (3) 3
- SOCY-110 Views from the Global South FA3 (3) 3
- SOCY-150 Global Sociology FA4 (3) 3
- SOCY-315 Classical Social Theory (3) 3
- SOCY-316 Contemporary Social Theory (3) 3
- SOCY-321 Sociological Reasoning with Quantitative Data (3) 3
- SOCY-322 Qualitative Research Methods (3) 3
- SOCY-492 Major Seminar in Sociology (3) 3
Sociology Electives (24 credit hours)
Combined Sociology (BA) and Sociology (MA)
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor's/master's programs. See Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degreesfor more information.
In addition to meeting the minimum university requirements for combined bachelor's/master's programs:
- Students must have a minimum overall 3.00 grade point average. Students interested in applying to this combined program should consult with their advisor and other faculty members before formal application is begun.
- Undergraduate students may apply up to 12 credit hours of approved graduate-level coursework in sociology, including STAT-514 Statistical Methods (3), to satisfy the requirements of both degrees.