BA in Sociology
Admission to the Program
Formal admission to the major requires department approval.
- A total of 120 credit hours
- 6 credit hours of college writing
- 3 credit hours of college mathematics or the equivalent by examination
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of
the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and
Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same
- 42 credit hours with grades of C or better; no more than 9 credit hours may be at the 100 or 200 level
- SOCY-100 US Society (3) or SOCY-110 Views from the Third World (3) or SOCY-150 Global Sociology (3)
- SOCY-315 Classical Social Theory (3)
- SOCY-316 Contemporary Social Theory (3)
- SOCY-320 Introduction to Social Research (3)
- SOCY-321 Sociological Reasoning with Quantitative Data (3)
- SOCY-322 Quantitative Research Methods (3)
- SOCY-491 Internship (3)
- SOCY-492 Major Seminar in Sociology (3)
- 18 credit hours in sociology electives, with no more than 6 credits at the 100 or 200 level, and at least 3 credits at the 500 level.
University Honors Program
To graduate with University Honors, students must be admitted to the University Honors Program, maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50, and receive grades of B or better in all University Honors course work. There are three levels of University Honors course requirements: Level I (100-200-level); Level II (300-level and above); and Level III (Honors Capstone Project). The department Honors coordinator advises students in the University Honors Program regarding requirements for graduating with University Honors in the major. For more information, go to the University Honors Program.