Admission to the Program
Formal admission to the major requires department approval.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 42 credit hours with grades of C or better; no more than 9 credit hours may be at the 100- or 200-level
Required (18 credit hours)
- SOCY-100 U.S. Society FA4 (3) (3)
- SOCY-110 Views from the Global South FA3 (3) (3)
- SOCY-150 Global Sociology FA4 (3) (3)
- SOCY-315 Classical Social Theory (3) (3)
- SOCY-316 Contemporary Social Theory (3) (3)
- SOCY-321 Sociological Reasoning with Quantitative Data (3) (3)
- SOCY-322 Qualitative Research Methods (3) (3)
- SOCY-492 Major Seminar in Sociology (3) (3)
Sociology Electives (24 credit hours)
Combined Sociology (BA) and Sociology (MA)
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor's/master's programs. See Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degreesfor more information.
In addition to meeting the minimum university requirements for combined bachelor's/master's programs:
- Students must have a minimum overall 3.00 grade point average. Students interested in applying to this combined program should consult with their advisor and other faculty members before formal application is begun.
- Undergraduate students may apply up to 12 credit hours of approved graduate-level coursework in sociology, including STAT-514 Statistical Methods (3), to satisfy the requirements of both degrees.