Template for Course Syllabi
Center for Teaching, Research & Learning
This is a list of items commonly included in a university course syllabus. By clicking on each item, you can access additional information for each topic.
Background information on Crafting a Course Syllabus appears in #1. Section #1 also includes a brief discussion of additional text you may need to add if you are teaching a General Education course or if your school or department has special information you should include. In addition, this section discusses important information for students (e.g. regarding the Academic Support Center, the Counseling Center, Disability Support Services, the College Writing Center). There is also a section on supporting undergraduate research.
- Course Name, Number and Number of credits
- Instructor’s name
- Office location and Office hours
- Office Phone and Email Address, and Best Way to Contact Instructor
- Class Participation Policy
- Attendance Policy
- Policy on Collaborative Work
- Other Course Policies
- Evaluation Criteria
- Percentage of Course Grade for Assignments and Activities