Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get access to Colleague?
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for setting up new accounts in Ellucian (Colleague). You may also access the Colleague Account Request Form here

Are there Colleague training classes?
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) conducts online training classes on how to access Ellucian (Colleague). You may visit the "Learning" tab on your AsuccesfulU site or visit the Technical Training Opportunities page to learn more about creating a Purchase Requisition and General Ledger training videos.  

How can I check on the status of my requisition? 

In the Ellucian(Colleague) system, select the RINQ screen. Enter the requisition number. At the top of the page in Ellucian (Colleague), the status bar will say PO CREATED. The PO number will be listed in a box in the upper right corner under the Status Date.

How can I tell if my Purchase Order has been paid?
In the Ellucian (Colleague) System, select the PINQ screen. Enter the purchase order number. At the top of the page look for the PO Status, it should read PAID or Reconciled. The voucher number will be listed in a box in the upper right corner. For more details regarding checks please contact Accounts Payable.

How to I find a Vendor ID Number?
In the Ellucian (Colleague) System, select the VEND (Vendor Maintenance) screen and type in the Vendor's name. A list will populate if there is more than one vendor with that name. The Vendor ID appears below the vendor name. For further assistance contact Procurement and Contracts at

How do I add a vendor to Ellucian (Colleague)?
Please refer to PCD's Supplier Guidelines (TBD)


How long does it take for a purchase requisition to be processed into a Purchase Order?
Approved requisitions are usually processed into Purchase Orders within 48 hours, unless the required paperwork (contract, invoice, back-up paperwork or bid documentation for purchases over $5,000) has not been received by the PCD office which can then delay the time taken to assign a PO.

How do I release encumbered funds?
E-mail one of the Procurement & Contract staff members for assistance at

How do I increase a blanket purchase order?
E-mail one of the Procurement & Contract staff members with the blanket order number, vendor name, and amount at to be added to

What information is required to process a prepayment?
An invoice, registration form, subscription form or other applicable information that states the cost, and a description of the item being purchased must be receive by the appropriate PCD buyer in order to process a Prepayment.

Can I have a check held and not mailed?
Yes, in the printed comments field in the REQM Screen in Ellucian (Colleague), request that the check not be mailed and provide instructions on what to do with the check (whether it should be mailed to your office, or you plan to pick it up at the Controller’s Office, etc.).

Who can I call if I need help with a Purchase Order?
Contact the appropriate Procurement & Contract buyer for assistance with your order.

Who can sign contracts?
A member of the Procurement & Contracts department. They will ensure that all purchasing activities are carried out in accordance with all applicable laws, directives from the Board of Trustees, and sound business practices. Only the Procurement & Contracts department has the authority to obligate the University and enter into a contract or lease. The University has delegated the signing of PSA for services rendered by individuals as described below:


Contract Value - PSA up to$10,000* Division Head

$10,001 to $100,000 Senior Director of Procurement & Contracts

$101,000 - $250,000 Assistant VP Finance

$250,001 - $500,000 VP Finance & Treasurer

*There must be no changes to the AU PSA or PSA Work Made for Hire or the terms and conditions; vendor must be an existing supplier; otherwise, the PSA or PSA WMFH must be signed by PCD.


What is the AU Purchasing Card?
The AU Visa Purchasing Card (Pcard) allows authorized cardholders to make departmental operations-related purchases less than $1000 directly from suppliers without having to fill out requisitions, process purchase orders, and reconcile invoices.

How do I get an AU Visa Purchasing Card?
Employees who have completed their probationary period, and who have the approval of their supervisor, are eligible for the Visa Purchasing Card.

How long will it take to get an AU Visa Purchasing Card?
Once the required paperwork is completed and received by PCD, it usually takes 10 business days to receive the card.

Does the bank issuing the AU Visa Purchasing Card do a personal credit check first?

When can I use my AU Visa Purchasing Card?
A mandatory training session is required prior to receiving the purchasing card. After the training is completed, the card will issued and upon activation may be used immediately.

What can I purchase on my AU Visa Purchasing Card?
The card is designed for small purchases, $1000 or less. Items that can and can't be purchased on the card are listed in the AU Visa Purchasing Card Manual and the Restricted Commodities List.

What if I need my per transaction limit increased?
A request for additional funds must be made by your immediate supervisor via e-mail to

Why is a transaction on my Purchasing Card rejected?
Contact PCD at

What do I do if my AU Visa Purchasing Card is lost or stolen?
Contact Bank of America at 1-888-449-2273 immediately. After notifying the bank also notify PCD at

What do I do with my receipts?
It is the cardholders responsibility to maintain adequate documentation of each and all transactions in their departments. Documents related to purchases and receipt of goods must be retained for two (2) fiscal years.

Does someone have to approve my purchases?
The cardholder is responsible for signing off on their transaction in the BOA Works System. The transactions are then routed to the cardholder supervisor for approval. Click here for Pcard closing dates

Can I lend someone in my department my card?
All purchase transactions must be made by the cardholder. If a department needs more than one cardholder, additional cards can be issued in their respective name with the same general ledger account number

I want to use another General Ledger (G/L) account number, but I can't find it listed in the Works System.
To have G/L account numbers added to the Works System, e-mail

How do I get a copy of last month's statement?

You can retrieve up to a year of prior statements by running a spend report under the reports tab. Under the spend report, please select the date range for your report, then select ‘submit report’ to receive a PDF-formatted report.

Who should I call if I have a problem with my account?
PCD at

How do I get access to a WB Mason Office Supply Account?
Complete the WB Mason New User form and send request to Anu Subramanyam through

Can office-related products be purchased from vendors other than WB Mason?
WB Mason is the preferred office supplies vendor for the American University. PCD has negotiated discounted pricing and preferred terms with them. However, if you need a specialty item please contact PCD for assistance at 202. 885. 3811 or email us at

If I need to buy in bulk , can I get a discount?
Contact PCD at


How do I order AU Stationery?
Our on line stationery orders can be access through the WB Mason Office Supply website.

How do I order AU business cards?
Business cards can be ordered online through WB Mason Office Supply website.

What happens if there is a misspelling or changes need to be made?
All changes should be made before you hit "Confirm Order" button. Once you place the order you will be charge.

How long should I expect to wait for my order to be shipped to me?
8 business days.

Who should I call if I need a special order?


Does the university have a travel policy?
Yes, please see our travel website.

Does the University have an approved travel agency?

American University preferred Travel Management Company is:

World Travel 

AU Account Manager

Vicki Villardi

484-624-6958 (O)

484-796-1129 (C)

Travel Counselors:

Kati Ficco
Krystal Smith
Contact Phone Number: 888-305-9160
Email address:

What hotels does the University recommend?

Locally, American University has agreements with:

Holiday Inn Georgetown

Marriott Courtyard

Embassy Suites

Doubletree Hotel

Hilton Garden Inn

List of Hotels can also be found at:


How do I rent a car?
Enterprise Rent-a-Car is our preferred vendor and will rent to American University with a purchase order. Enter a requisition into Ellucian (Colleague) and purchasing will forward a signed Purchase Order to the company to confirm your reservation.

AU has discounts with the following car rental companies. However, the traveler must provide their own credit card.

Enterprise Rent a Car Discount Number is XZ16997 for business travel and XZ16998 for leisure travel.

Avis Discount Number B448700

Budget Discount Number D639800

Hertz Discount Number CPP0009755

How do I rent a bus?
The following bus companies will take a reservation for a bus rental. Please forward the confirmation form to Anu Subramanyam and enter a requisition into the Ellucian Colleague. PCD will forward a signed Purchase Order to the company to confirm your reservation.


Golden Touch Limo

Quality Transport

Beltway limousine


Who should I call if my Konica Copier is broken?

Konica Minolta

Andrew Cardoni  



Konica Minolta Service 800 456-5664.


Who should I call if my Xerox Copier is broken?      

Xerox Corporation

Denise Brown  

Phone Cell: 301-343-2343          

Phone Office: 703-421-5854  

Fax: 703-421-5026     


Xerox Service 800 339-7887


Who should I call if my Canon Copier is broken?

Ameritel Corporation 

William Carey

Phone: 301-251-0222


Who should I call for coffee service?
First Choice Coffee is the preferred coffee services supplier for American University.  

First Choice Coffee Services

7518-I Fullerton Road, Springfield, VA 22153

Ph: (703) 569-6188



Who should I call for water service?

Deer Park Water for water coolers Customer Service 1-800-325-3337

Quench Water Systems for inline water filtration system
Contact: Karen Kelly
Phone: (202) 255-5502


Who should I call for shredding services?

Mike Kichler                                     

Cintas Document Management Maryland-DC Norther VA 

Phone: 240-294-0389 Fax: 240-294-0395