Skip to main content

Payroll - AU Payroll Foreign National Procedures


Payroll Office
Fax: 202-885-1033
New Mexico, Room 350

9:00am to 5:00pm

Payroll Office
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016


Fax: 202-885-1033
New Mexico, Room 350

Bonilla, Astrid L
Interim Director of Payroll

4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016-8054

You Need an Appointment

If you receive:

  • Wages/Salary/Compensation
  • Stipend
  • Room and Board
  • Prize/Award
  • Honorarium Payment

Please contact one of the Foreign National Specialists:

Schedule An Appointment

  • Log in to the AU portal and go to the Payroll section of the AU portal

  • Under "related links" in the upper right of the page, click on Foreign National Appointment Schedule

  • Type user name and password then press enter

    (same as user name and password used to log onto the portal)

  • The calendar will appear

  • Choose day and time that is convenient for you

  • Click on Schedule the Appointment

  • Complete all the required information

  • Click on Submit

  • You will be sent an e-mail confirming or re-scheduling your appointment

Bring These Required Original Documents To Your Appointment

  • I-20 or DS-2019

  • Social Security Card

  • AU student ID card

  • I-94 card

  • Passport with Visa

  • Voided Check for direct deposit

  • Employment authorization card if applicable

  • Letter from the sponsoring organization if applicable

  • The following forms will be completed in the appointment:

          - I-9 (Employment Verification Form)

          - W-4 (Federal Tax Withholding Form)

          - State tax form (DC, VA, MD)

          - Tax summary report from GLACIER

          - Treaty benefits forms if applicable (8233, W-8Ben, or W-9)

You Will Receive An Email From "Support" With A Subject: "Payments From American University"

  • This e-mail contains your password to access the GLACIER on–line tax
    compliance system
  • You should complete/update your personal information in the GLACIER system before your appointment with the Foreign National Specialist.

To Update Your Student Records Contact

Contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS):

Social Security Number (SSN)

After the hiring paper work is complete, a letter of employment will be given to the student to apply for the social security number.  This letter must be stamped by ISSS before going to the social security office.  Please contact a Foreign National Specialist once you receive the SSN to update your file.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

After graduating and receiving your OPT employment card, make sure to contact a Foreign National Specialist to update your file and issue a new I-9 if necessary.