Skip to main content

Payroll - Lost or Expired Paychecks


Payroll Office
Fax: 202-885-1033
New Mexico, Room 350

9:00am to 5:00pm

Payroll Office
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016

Lost or Expired Paychecks

Lost Paychecks:

If you have picked up your paycheck and subsequently cannot find the check, or your check has been damaged or destroyed in some way, you should contact the Payroll Office as soon as possible by phone at (202) 885-3520.
If you have lost your check you can complete the "Request for Stop Payment" form located at the attached link:
Print the form, fill it out and deliver the form to the Payroll Office.

Expired Paychecks:

The Payroll Office monitors checks that have been issued, but not presented for payment. If a payroll check has not been cashed within 180 days of the issue date, is damaged or misplaced, you must notify the Payroll Office. When the Payroll Office receives a check that is older than 180 days of the issue date, it will be verified that the check had not been previously replaced or is indeed due the employee. Once verified, the Payroll Office will generate a replacement check as soon as possible. Notification of any checks that have been lost or misplaced must also be verified that they have not been previously replaced. If it has not been previously replaced, the Payroll Office will submit a stop payment on the check to the bank. A replacement check will be issued within 48-72 hours after placing the stop payment. Damaged checks should be returned to the Payroll Office and can be replaced within 48-72 hours.

Unclaimed Paychecks:

Dependent upon the state an employee resides in when the payroll check is generated, the university is required by law to send one year or older unclaimed paycheck records and amounts to the appropriate state government. These unclaimed payroll checks are turned over to the appropriate state government by November 1st. Payroll makes several attempts to notify employees with unclaimed checks. It is the employee's responsibility to keep his/her address up to date and communicate to the Payroll Office to receive unclaimed paychecks. Employees who have not claimed their checks during the timeframe described above may contact the following websites for assistance:

District of Columbia then click on Unclaimed Property.
***Note: If you worked for American University, lived in Maryland, and have not received payment, regulations require Maryland Unclaimed Property be sent to DC's Unclaimed Property Department.

Virginia -