Skip to main content

Payroll - Tax Filing Form Replacements or Questions


Payroll Office
Fax: 202-885-1033
New Mexico, Room 350

9:00am to 5:00pm

Payroll Office
4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016

Tax Filing Form Replacements or Questions

Each year American University is required to issue a W-2 and/or 1042S form to employees with taxable income. The W-2 form must be sent to employees no later than January 31st of the following year and the 1042S form for foreign national income must be sent no later March 15th. However, American University usually issues the W-2 by mid January and the 1042S form by mid February. Additionally active employees are given access to an electronic W-2 which is posted by January 31st on the HR/Payroll Connection located on the portal.


The university receives many forms back that are not able to be delivered to employee’s home address of record. Typically, this is due the individual moving and not informing us of their new address. If you should have received a form W-2 or 1042S, you can contact the Payroll office three different ways.

  • Via email: Send email request to
  •  Via Phone: Call the Payroll office at (202)885-3520
  •  Complete the request form and mail to the Payroll office:

     W2/1042S Request Form

   Send to American University:

   Attn: Payroll Office
   4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
   Washington, DC 20016-8054