2008 July 9
On Wednesday, July 9th 2008 between 8:00pm and 8:30pm, an Indecent Exposure incident occurred in the Bender Library. A similar incident, a Lewd Act occurred on Thursday July 10th 2008 at 4:32pm.
Information from a witness revealed that on 07-09-08, an African-American male, in his 40’s with an average build, between 6’ 1” and 6’ 3”tall was seen masturbating on the floor of Bender Library within view of patrons. An individual matching this description was exhibiting a similar behavior on the 3rd floor of Bender Library on 7-10-08.
Description of Suspect:
African-American male, about 6’ 01” to 6’ 03”, average build. Suspect appears to be in his 40’s. Has been seen wearing a blue polo shirt with white stripes, cap (blue or khaki colored), khaki colored sandals, and pink shorts.
If you have information relating to this incident, or witness suspicious activity, please contact Public Safety at 202-885-3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department.
- Walk in groups whenever possible and look out for each other.
- Avoid isolated and dark areas.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it accessible.
- If you are approached, take note of the person's appearance, clothing, and anything unusual that will help identify the individual.
- Be aware of the emergency telephones (yellow boxes on pillars, blue lights phone towers and red telephones) located on campus, in building lobbies, elevators, and in parking lots.
- Report anything or anyone suspicious to Public Safety
- Program Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies 202-885-3636
- Utilize the Public Safety Escort Service while walking on campus at night. To arrange for an escort, call 202-885-2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.
EMERGENCY - (202)885-3636
The American University Department of Public Safety (AUDPS) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to AUDPS or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a continuing threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to AUDPS from MPD. Community members are encouraged to report external incidents to AUDPS to assist in the effective implementation of this program.