2008 September 28
On Sunday, September 28, at approximately 3:37 a.m., an armed robbery occurred near campus at 3850 Nebraska Avenue, N.W. One of the victims in this case is an AU student.
The following was reported to the Department of Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department:
One (1) AU student and an individual not affiliated with the university walking together were approached by three (3) males who had been following the victims southbound on Nebraska Avenue. Two of the suspects stood in front of the victims and the third suspect stood behind. One suspect demanded one of the victim’s purses. When the victim refused, the suspect standing behind the victims attempted to grab the purse. As the victim pulled the purse away from the suspect, he brandished a firearm and pulled the trigger, however, the firearm did not discharge. During this, one of the victims kicked one of the other robbers and began to scream. A Department of Homeland Security officer, who heard the commotion, arrived on scene. As he approached, all three suspects fled behind the Temple Baptist Church on the 3800 block of Nebraska Avenue. The victims did not sustain any injuries.
Description of Suspect:
The first suspect is described as a Hispanic male, dark complexion with shoulder length hair. Suspect appeared to be 150 lbs and 6 feet tall and between 18 and 24 years old. He wore a brown shirt and blue jeans
The second suspect is described as an African American male with dark complexion. Suspect appeared to be 160 lbs and 6 feet tall and between 18 and 24 years old. He wore a black puffy vest, blue jeans and black shoes.
The third suspect was a Hispanic male, dark complexion and close cut black hair. Suspect is approximately 160 lbs and appeared to be between 18 and 24 years old. He wore a white shirt and blue jeans. Suspect possessed a firearm.
If you have information relating to this incident, or witness suspicious activity, please contact Public Safety at 202-885-3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department.
- Walk in groups whenever possible and look out for each other.
- Avoid isolated and dark areas.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it accessible.
- If you are approached, take note of the person's appearance, clothing, and anything unusual that will help identify the individual.
- Be aware of the emergency telephones (yellow boxes on pillars, blue lights phone towers and red telephones) located on campus, in building lobbies, elevators, and in parking lots.
- Report anything or anyone suspicious to Public Safety
- Program Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies 202-885-3636
- Utilize the Public Safety Escort Service while walking on campus at night. To arrange for an escort, call 202-885-2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.
EMERGENCY - (202)885-3636
The American University Department of Public Safety (AUDPS) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to AUDPS or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a continuing threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to AUDPS from MPD. Community members are encouraged to report external incidents to AUDPS to assist in the effective implementation of this program.