2009 April 13
The Department of Public Safety and Housing and Dining Programs have received reports of unauthorized entry into residence hall rooms. These rooms are often left unsecured, which enables perpetrators to easily access the premises.
To help protect your room from being unlawfully entered, follow these three (3) safety tips:
- Please do not leave your doors unlocked, even for brief periods of time.
- Do not let anyone follow you into the dorms, or admit anyone as a guest unless they are your guest.
- Report lost keys to the Department of Public Safety immediately.
If you witness suspicious activity, please call the Department of Public Safety at 202.885.3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department.
- Walk in groups whenever possible and look out for each other.
- Avoid isolated and dark areas.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it accessible.
- If you are approached, take note of the person's appearance, clothing and anything unusual that will help identify the suspect.
- Be aware of the emergency telephones (yellow boxes on pillars, blue light phone towers, and red telephones) located on campus, in building lobbies, elevators, and in parking lots.
- Report any suspicious activity or suspicious individuals to the Department of Public Safety.
- Program AU Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies: 202.885.3636.
- Use the Public Safety Escort Service while walking on campus at night. To arrange for an escort, call 202.885.2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.