2009 April 19
On Sunday, April 19, at approximately 12:00 AM, a sexual offense occured near campus at the corner of 42nd and Van Ness Streets, NW.
The following was reported to the Department of Public Safety:
The victims were approached by an unknown male who appeared to be talking on his cell phone. The suspect asked for directions and proceeded to grab one of the victims on the shoulder and breast. The suspect also grabbed the second victim, making contact with her ribcage. After both victims screamed loudly, the suspect fled, on foot, east along Van Ness Street toward Nebraska Avenue. One of the victims was an AU student. There were no weapons involved.
Description of Suspect:
Caucasian male, 5'10" tall and large build, with red hair and a full beard between 4 to 5 inches long. Suspect appeared to be between 28 and 30 years old.
If you witness suspicious activity, please call the Department of Public Safety at 202.885.3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department.
- Walk in groups whenever possible and look out for each other.
- Avoid isolated and dark areas.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it accessible.
- If you are approached, take note of the person's appearance, clothing and anything unusual that will help identify the suspect.
- Be aware of the emergency telephones (yellow boxes on pillars, blue light phone towers, and red telephones) located on campus, in building lobbies, elevators, and in parking lots.
- Report any suspicious activity or suspicious individuals to the Department of Public Safety.
- Program AU Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies: 202.885.3636.
- Use the Public Safety Escort Service while walking on campus at night. To arrange for an escort, call 202.885.2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.