2009 May 26
On Sunday, May 25, at approximately 8:45p.m., a simple assault occurred near campus at the northeast corner of Ward Circle. The victim was a member of the AU community.
The following was reported to the Department of Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department:
The victim was running south on Nebraska Avenue, NW and had turned east on Massachusetts Avenue, NW. An unknown male on a bicycle approached her from behind. The suspect said, "hey baby" and attempted to grab the victim's shoulder in an aggressive manner. No contact was made. The victim pushed the suspect away yelled for help, and fled. The suspect continued his approach. When the victim made contact with another individual, the suspect fled north on Nebraska Avenue, NW. No injuries were reported.
Description of Suspect:
The suspect is described as a light skinned Hispanic male, 5' 7" to 5' 9" tall. He has a thin build, long dark braided hair and was wearing a white sweater top and dark pants. The suspect was riding a dark colored bike.
If you witness suspicious activity, please call the Department of Public Safety at 202.885.3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department.
- Walk in groups whenever possible and look out for each other.
- Avoid isolated and dark areas.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it accessible.
- If you are approached, take note of the person's appearance, clothing and anything unusual that will help identify the suspect.
- Be aware of the emergency telephones (yellow boxes on pillars, blue light phone towers, and red telephones) located on campus, in building lobbies, elevators, and in parking lots.
- Sign up for AU Campus Connect text alerts at: http://www.american.edu/oit/software/AU-Campus-Connect.cfm
- Report any suspicious activity or suspicious individuals to the Department of Public Safety.
- Program AU Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies: 202.885.3636.
- Use the Public Safety Escort Service while walking on campus at night. To arrange for an escort, call 202.885.2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.
The American University Department of Public Safety (AUDPS) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to AUDPS or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a continuing threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to AUDPS from MPD. Community members are encouraged to report external incidents to AUDPS to assist in the effective implementation of this program.