Safe Ride to Campus Program
Never ride with someone who has been drinking.
In 2011, 9,878 people died in drunk driving crashes- one every 53 minutes.
American University's Department of Public Safety has devised a program to prevent you from having to get into a vehicle with someone you do not know, or someone who is under the influence.
If you are stranded in Washington DC, Virginia, or Maryland (within a 10 mile radius), you can call a taxi and ask to be taken to American University's Department of Public Safety. Upon arrival, your taxi fare will be billed to your student account.
This is an emergency service to be used only under the following conditions:
- You are a currently ENROLLED student at American University.
- You have no other method of safe transportation to campus.
To receive a safe ride, follow these three easy steps:
- Call Public Safety at 202.885.2527 and let the dispatcher know that you would like to take advantage of the Safe Ride Program and provide your location. Public Safety will then provide you with taxi company telephone numbers.
- Instruct the taxi driver to drop you off at the Department of Public Safety, (located across the street from the Letts/ Anderson shuttle stop).
- Once you have arrived at Public Safety, let the taxi driver know you will be getting the fare from the front desk. Inside the Public Safety building, please inform the dispatcher that you are using the Safe Ride Program, and an Officer will be sent to the taxi to pay the fare.
Please Remember, have fun, but be safe and never drive or ride with someone who is under the influence, or with someone you do not know. Public Safety is here to help!