- Payment Plan Overview
- Payment Plan Options
- Plan Basics
- Late Payments and Fees
- Online Student Portal Access
- Making Payment on Plans
American University offers the American Payment Plan (APP) to students as an alternative to paying your bill in full at the start of each term.
Please note, students enrolled in online Academic Programs or non-credit programs in the School of Professional and Extend Studies(SPExs) are ineligible to participate.
The plan splits your Fall or Spring semester balance into convenient monthly payments, with no interest charged. By budgeting ahead for the upcoming term's charges, you may be able to reduce the amount of loans needed for the school year.
IF YOU ARE PAYING ONLINE, PLEASE NOTE: online payment plan payments can only be made and processed through the Student Eagle Finance portal, using the student's username. Please do not use the parent portal to make payment plan payments, as they will not be reflected on your payment plan account.
Enrollment Period-1 : Applications Received by December 15, 2013
5-months: Payments due Jan-1 through May-1
4-months: Payments due Jan-1 through Apr-1
3-months: Payments due Jan-1 through Mar-1
2-months: Payments due Jan-1 through Feb-1
Enrollment Period -2: Applications Received between December 16, 2013 -January 15, 2014
4-months: Payments due Feb-1 through May-1
3-months: Payments due Feb-1 through Apr-1
2-months: Payments due Feb-1 through Mar-1
Enrollment Period-3: Applications Received between January 16 -February 15, 2014
3-months: Payments due Mar-1 through May-1
2-months: Payments due Mar-1 through Apr-1
Applications will be processed according to the enrollment period in which they are received. We reserve the right to assign a plan if an application is received outside the enrollment period for the plan indicated. No applications will be accepted after February 15th.
- Students must be registered and have accounts in good standing prior to applying for the current semester's payment plan. All Fall balances and prior term balances must be paid in full. Students may view their statements and registration at any time by logging into their Student Portal and selecting the Personalized Links, clicking Finances, accessing Eagle Finance.
- There is a $30 non-refundable application fee due each semester. A new application is required for each semester in which you wish to participate in a payment plan.
- Changes to the student account will not be automatically reflected in a payment plan.
- Participants may change their budget amount by submitting a written request to SA@american.edu from the student's AU assigned e-mail address. Please title e-mail: APP Adjustment Request. American University reserves the right to adjust amounts indicated on applications as necessary to ensure the accuracy of participant installment amounts.
- Any charges incurred after the start date for a payment plan (due to changes in registration or financial aid, or addition of any supplemental fees) and not accounted for in your calculated budget are due at the time they are incurred, and are subject to 1% monthly finance charges in accordance with university guidelines.
- For a list of who to contact in the event you wish to make adjustments to your statement charges, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- If no plan is indicated on your application, you will be enrolled automatically in the plan available (based on the enrollment period) with the highest number of installments.
- Payment reminders will be sent electronically to the student AU e-mail address on file, two weeks before each payment due date. Students may forward reminders and PDF statements from their Eagle Finance portal to any third party payers.
- Payments are due the 1st of each month. Delinquent accounts will be subject to a $40 late fee and financial restriction for each late payment.
- Accounts delinquent by two or more payments will be canceled from the plan, are subject to a monthly 1% finance charge and financial restriction per University guidelines.
- Any finance charges incurred prior to your selected plan start date will not be waived. View payment due dates for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Any balance remaining after your selected payment plan's final due date become immediately due per University guidelines. Please see the Student Payment and Disclosure Statement for more information regarding student tuition and fee balances.
The Office of Student Accounts offers students online access to their account information and registration. Students can review the details of their accounts and payment plans by logging into their student portal by following these simple steps:
- Log into your student portal at myAU.american.edu
- Under the Finances section in your personalized links, select Eagle Finance.
- To view account information and payment summaries by term, click on the Account Activity tab.
- To save a PDF statement to your computer, select the term you wish to view and click View Statement. Then, save the document which comes up. This statement may be emailed to any third parties with whom you wish to share your account information.
Payment due date is always the first of each month.
Please note: All online payments must be made through the student portal at Eagle Finance.
Online payments will be reflected immediately on your Eagle Finance statement. They can be made by logging into Eagle Finance and selecting the Make a Payment tab. Payments may be made by the following methods:
- Online eCheck payments can be made using a US bank account (checking or savings). There is no fee to pay by eCheck.
- Online credit card payments can be made using Visa, MasterCard or Discover. Please note, a non-refundable credit card convenience fee of 2.55% will be charged to your credit card account when making credit card payments applied to your student account bill.
Payments by Mail
Payments by check, cashier's check or money order must be sent to:
American University-Student AccountsAttn: American Payment Plans4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NWWashington, DC 20016-8073
- When submitting payment by mail, please allow extra time for your payment to arrive by the 1st of the month.
- Automatic monthly payment setup through your bank should be arranged before the 1st of the month, to ensure payment is received by the due date.
- The student 7-digit AU ID number and name must be listed on any mailed check to avoid processing delays.
Please submit your signed (student and bill payer signature required) payment plan application by one of the following methods:
American University – Student AccountsAttn: American Payment Plan (APP)4400 Massachusetts Ave NWWashington, DC 20016-8073
E-mail to: SA@american.edu
- Print your completed PDF-application
- Sign your application (student and bill payer signature required)
- Scan a copy of your signed application
- Submit the scanned copy of your application as an attachment by e-mail (Subject line should read APP Completed Application with students name and ID number. Example: " APP Completed Application, Clawed Eagle, 9876543).
Fax application: (202) 885-1139.