You are here: Prospective Transfer Students

I'm a prospective transfer student. How do I apply for financial aid?

In order to receive need-based aid, candidates must meet federal aid eligibility requirements and Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE.

CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE

The CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE is a comprehensive application that is personalized for you based on information you provide when you register for the service. American University (AU) will use the information collected on the PROFILE to assist us in awarding institutional grant funding. File the PROFILE online through the College Board. AU's PROFILE code number is 5007. Please note, you may also be required to complete the Noncustodial Parent PROFILE.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The information on the FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state need based aid. To expedite the processing of your application, complete your FAFSA online. Be sure to list the American University FAFSA code, 001434, in the college release section (paper FAFSA forms are available through your high school).

Required Applications

For AU need-based aid consideration, both the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and FAFSA must be received by the priority deadline of May 1. Do not wait to be admitted before filing your PROFILE and FAFSA. Late CSS Profile applications will be considered for institutional aid only while funding is available.

Tips for Filing Your Aid Applications

  1. It is important that information on the PROFILE and FAFSA be as accurate as possible. Your financial aid award will be based on the information provided on both applications. You may wish to complete the PROFILE first and use the College Board's pre-populated FAFSA Worksheet to assist you in completing the FAFSA. You will have the option to print the College Board FAFSA Worksheet upon completion of the PROFILE. Most of the information you entered on your PROFILE will appear on the worksheet and will be formatted to facilitate the filing of your FAFSA.
  2. File your PROFILE and FAFSA using your full legal name as it appears on your Social Security Card. Nicknames, or any name other than your full legal name are not permitted.
  3. Sign your FAFSA electronically. Both you and a parent (dependent students only) may obtain unique Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) through the Department of Education. Signing the FAFSA using a PIN will expedite the processing of your application.

Awarding Timeline

Fall and spring applicants who would like financial aid consideration must submit their financial aid applications by May 1. Notification of any financial aid award will be made on a rolling basis after students receive their admissions decision.

Note: Only Federal funds are guaranteed to spring applicants. Institutional funds are awarded based on availability.