The Library is American University's vibrant and collaborative campus center, enabling success for all students, faculty, and researchers in our academic community. While the Library regularly hosts engaging events, it is also a place of intellectual discovery and quiet study that is open 24 hours, 5 days a week. Patrons have access to more than 8 million books through the Washington Research Library Consortium and virtual access to more than 27,000 e-journals and 300 scholarly databases.
We are taking the Library "from a warehouse to their house" and creating that most important third space for our students beyond their residence halls and classrooms.
Additionally, we reach our faculty and alumni by directly supporting their information and research needs via an increasingly rich array of electronic databases, digital connections, and state-of-the-art discovery tools that maximize their time and broaden their reach.
Learn More about the University Library
Friends of the Library Steering Committee
Chair: Jason Phillips, KSB/MBA '99, Associate Director, JSTOR
- Peter Brusoe,SPA/PhD '11, Adjunct Instructor, School of Public Affairs
- Derrick Cogburn, Professor, School of International Service, Director, Center for Research on Collaboratories & Technology Enhanced Learning Communities
- Gail Hanson, Vice President of Campus Life
- Donald Hester, SIS/BA '64, Adjunct Faculty
- Ann Kerwin, CAS/BA '71
- Peggy Pagano, SOC/BA '65, Director of Community and Government Relations
- Arthur Rothkopf, American University Board of Trustees, Senior Vice President, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Robin Seitz, SIS/MA '95, Former American University Faculty
- Christopher Simpson, Professor, School of Communication
- Allan Stypeck, SPA/BA '72, President, Second Story Books
- Diana Vogelsong, Associate University Librarian
- Patricia West, Assistant University Librarian
To learn about giving opportunities at Bender Library, please contact Sarah Papazoglakis, associate director of Development, at 202-885-3199.