- Personalized job search with a university recruiter
- Resume, cover letter, and interview guidance
- Utilize AU Ready Hire's knowledge of and relationship with the university departments and schools
The American University Ready Hire program offers you a chance to become a part of a pre-screened and qualified pool of diverse candidates who are ready to fill a variety of long-term temporary administrative openings throughout the university. The service speeds up and streamlines the hiring process for administrative positions at AU. Find the right job easier, faster, and more efficiently. Become a part of our select pool of candidates and work directly with an AU Ready Hire recruiter to find the perfect position for you at American University.
Who Should Apply?
Candidates must be genuinely interested in higher education and want to work in higher education for the long term.
What Are The Requirements?
- Bachelor's degree and at least one year of administrative experience or two years of college and 4-5 years of administrative support experience. Experience working in higher education is preferred. This includes student positions and internships.
- Demonstrated high level of attention to detail.
- High level of professionalism and communication skills (oral and written).
- Basic computer and Microsoft Office proficiency.
- Primarily temporary assignments, but occasionally full-time and part-time permanent positions
- Temporary positions vary in length but are usually 1-3 months long. Candidates are required to be available for temporary positions.
- Sample positions include administrative assistant, staff assistant, executive assistant, academic program assistant, event coordinator, and more!
- Departments and industries include, but are not limited to, academic programs, administrative offices, executive offices, and student affairs.
- Positions and pay vary by job duties and requirements.
The AU Ready Hire program is always accepting applications.
Apply online at https://jobs.american.edu/JobPostings.aspx. The listing for AU Ready Hire will be visible on the website from the first through the seventh of each month. If there is not a current listing on the website, please submit your cover letter and resume to ReadyHire@american.edu.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit both a resume and cover letter. Cover letters should indicate whether you are interested in full-time, part-time, and/or temporary positions and the types of positions for which you would like to be considered.
All selected candidates will undergo an in-person interview process, skills testing (Microsoft Word and Excel, a brief attention to detail test, and a proofreading test), and a reference check.
The AU Ready Hire program works with a select pool of candidates. Until you hear back from the AU Ready Hire program, please continue to apply online directly to positions in which you are interested.
When are positions available through the AU Ready Hire program?
The AU Ready Hire program works on vacant full-time, part-time, and temporary positions year-round.
Is it required to be available for temporary positions?
No! Candidates do not need to be available for temporary assignments. Temporary positions at American University will not be posted online, so you should apply to the AU Ready Hire program in order to be considered for temporary positions.
How soon must I be available to start work?
Candidates should be available to start fairly immediately and within a few weeks' notice of being offered a position.
I do not live near Washington, DC. Can I still become a part of the AU Ready Hire program?
Yes! You do not need to live locally to American University in order to be a part of the program. Please keep in mind that if you are interviewing for positions at American University, supervisors may want to hold in-person interviews so you may need to travel if extended an interview.
With which departments does the AU Ready Hire program work to fill positions?
AU Ready Hire works with all of the American University departments and schools. This includes everything from the individual academic programs to the executive offices! We are a part of American University's Office of Human Resources and are entirely internal and free-of-charge to our departments and schools.
- Network with American University departments, schools, and supervisors.
- Test the waters; see how you like working at American University before committing to a permanent position.
- Demonstrate your skills to American University staff and supervisors.
To learn more or to apply to the AU Ready Hire program please email your cover letter and resume to ReadyHire@american.edu and someone from our team will get back to you.
Melanie New, AU Ready Hire Program Coordinator
Ready Hire Assistant