Register (in Advance) for Emergency Back-Up Dependent Care, a New Benefit Available to Full-time Faculty and Staff
AU is pleased to provide emergency dependent back-up care to full-time faculty and staff. The Bright Horizons® Back-Up Care Advantage Program® gives you access to the Back-Up Care Advantage network of child care centers and in-home care providers to assist when your regular care options for children, as well as adults, become unavailable.
You can use the back-up care program for planned needs, such as caregiver vacations, school holidays or breaks, or if you are traveling for business and temporary assistance is needed. The program can also be used for unplanned events, such as school closings for inclement weather, a mildly-ill child or parent, or your dependent care provider quits unexpectedly.
The Bright Horizon’s Back-Up Care Advantage Program offers several options for care including:
- access to its national network of child care centers,
- in-home child care, and
- in-home care for yourself, spouse, or parent.
The program is partially funded by the university, resulting in lower costs for the services:
- $15 per child, per day at a center based care facility, or $25 per day if you have more than one child attending the same facility in the same day, or
- $6 per hour per caregiver for in-home care.
- You can use back-up care for up to 15 days per year.
- Complete the registration before you need to use the service. There is no cost to register, so register as soon as possible so that you can quickly make your reservations for care when you need it.
- FYI. Sometimes additional documents are required by non-Bright Horizons centers.
This program is part of AU’s ongoing commitment to provide a comprehensive benefits package to help faculty and staff balance the demands of a busy job and home.
For more information please view the short video orientation on the myBenefits site. Detailed information, including a link to the Bright Horizons website, can be found under the work-life tab in myBenefits.
For questions, contact myBenefits@american.edu or call (202) 885-3400.
Return to top