We know that undergraduates have many demands on their time. To help you focus, we created the KCCD Four Year Success Plan (FYSP) to guide business majors toward their future pursuits. The plan applies to every undergraduate, whether you are an underclassman or an upcoming graduate.
Undergraduates pursuing a minor in business through Kogod also have full access to the KCCD. We encourage business minors to take advantage of the FYSP as soon as they declare a business minor.
Below is a sample FYSP. Each plan is unique and can be created by the student with the assistance of a KCCD Career Advisor.
Freshman YearBecome aware and get involved.
- Attend Kogod Open House to learn the resources available to you
- Attend one KCCD event each month, including Industry Days, to explore career fields
- Attend student clubs' events to explore your interests and build your KSB network
- Make an appointment with a Career Advisor to discuss your interests and goals
- Enroll in KSB 200 - Basic Career Exploration & Development
Sophomore YearGet focused, commit to activities and explore professions.
- Attend Kogod Open House to meet the staff
- Enroll in the KSB 200 - Basic Career Exploration & Development (if you didn’t as a freshman)
- Join a student club, volunteer or seek out student employment
- Update your resume to reflect leadership and involvement activities and upload to Kogod CareerSource. Remove your high school education and experiences (it’s time to say goodbye!)
- Meet with your Career Advisor to assess your career direction, develop a list of business careers to consider, and identify skills to develop in an internship
- Attend two KCCD events each month, including the AU Career Fair
- Complete one job shadowing and informational interviewing experience each semester
- Start to build professional relationships with professors and other campus individuals (for reference use later)
- Identify options for your first internship, build a cover letter, do a mock interview using InterviewStream and then meet with your Career Advisor to review
- Create a LinkedIn profile, connect with staff and professors, join the Kogod School of Business group
Land an internship and test industry choices.
- Attend the KCCD Open House to get a jump-start on your internship search
- Meet with a Career Advisor to develop a strategic search plan
- Update and focus your resume and cover letter for specific employers
- Attend two Employer Information Sessions and Alumni Events each semester
- Attend three KCCD events each month to actively search for an internship, including the AU Career Fair and Industry Days’ networking fairs
- Apply for internships and participate in on-campus recruiting via CareerSource
- Prepare for targeted internship opportunities with a mock interview
- Identify references to be used in your internship or job search
- Utilize LinkedIn to build network (connect with intern colleagues, classmates, professors, alumni)
- Report your internship and give feedback to KCCD about the quality of the experience
Senior YearIdentify top positions and land the job.
- Attend KCCD Open House to let us know about your summer experiences and kick-off your job search
- Set up Search Agents in CareerSource and review job postings on a daily basis
- Develop your on-campus and off-campus recruiting strategies
- Meet with a Career Advisor to update your job search plan
- Attend four KCCD events each month, including AU Career Fair, Employer Information Sessions and Alumni Events; actively network at all events
- Execute three intentional networking opportunities each week
- Participate in a mock interview with a Career Advisor to sharpen interview skills
- Develop a follow-up strategy, including negotiation and thank you's
- Request faculty members and past employers to serve as references; keep them updated throughout job search
- Utilize LinkedIn and continue to make new connections
- Report your job offers and acceptances to KCCD; complete Post-Graduation Survey