For-Credit Internship Process
All students who wish to register for a Kogod internship for credit must have completed:
12 credits in business
The first 300-level core business class in the area of the internship (i.e. MKTG-300 Principles of Marketing would be the prerequisite 300-level course for a marketing internship)
Internship Criteria (set by AU Academic Regulations)
Internships MUST be 12 weeks long no matter the number of credits. You must work 8-10 hours a week to receive 1-2 credits and 15-16 hours a week to receive 3 credits. You may not do an internship over fewer weeks, even if you are working more hours per week, as part of the internship is to be part of an office environment over the required period.
For-credit internships must be in an office. No for-credit internships will be approved that are in a home office.
Internships will be validated as substantive (less than 15% administrative work) and relevant by your Faculty Advisor.
Steps to Registration
Fill out and print page 3 and 4 of the Internship Registration Form
Obtain your Academic Advisor’s signature verifying that you have your pre-requisites completed.
Set up a meeting with the Faculty Advisor and bring the completed pages 3 and 4 of this internship packet to this meeting. (During the meeting you will discuss your internship and the associated assignments.)
Bring your completed, signed paperwork to KSB 106 for the final registration.
International Students: Check the appropriate visa box and have your ISSS representative sign the form before meeting with your Academic Advisor.
- Schedule an appointment at kogod.american.edu/advising.
- Visit KSB 106 or call (202) 885-1914 for walk-in hours.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accounting: Emily Lindsay, CPA, KSB 14, (202) 885-1902
- Entertainment: John Simson, KSB 227, (202) 885-6865
- Finance: Dr. Peter Chinloy, KSB 229, (202) 885-1951
- Information Systems: Dr. Richard Gibson, KSB 24, (202) 885-2735
- Int'l Business: Bob Sicina, KSB 223, (202) 885-1858
- ITEC: Dr. Richard Gibson, KSB 24, (202) 885-2735
- Management: Dr. Barbara Bird, KSB 216, (202) 885-1924
- Summer - Mike Carberry, KSB 28, (202) 885-1934
- Fall - Dr. Jack Swasy, KSB 23, (202) 885-1974
Locating an Internship
For information on internships currently available, how to secure an internship, general internship resources and an overview on sites where Kogod students have done internships, please go to CareerSource at kogod.american.edu/kccd or schedule a meeting with a Career Management Advisor.