Offered by the Kogod School of Business, the MS in Marketing program provides students with an opportunity to obtain advanced training in marketing and is designed to prepare them for a variety of professional careers in marketing and related areas. Students who successfully complete the MS in Marketing will be well-prepared to work in a variety of specialized marketing areas, including brand management, non-profit marketing, social marketing, internet marketing, and direct marketing.
Admission to the Program
In addition to meeting the minimum university requirements for graduate study, applicants must have earned an undergraduate bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a satisfactory grade point average. Applicants may also need to submit a GMAT or GRE score; please visit http://www.american.edu/kogod/admissions/ for more information. Applicants whose first language is not English must have a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- 30 credit hours of approved graduate work
- Up to 6 credit hours of graduate coursework earned at another institution may be transferred and applied as electives. Courses must be completed with a grade of B (3.0) or better and must be completed no later than five years prior to the beginning of the semester in which the student is admitted.
Introductory Course (3 credit hours)
Core (15 credit hours)
- MKTG-641 Digital Advertising and Search Engine Marketing (1.5) 1.5
- MKTG-642 Managing Digital Brand Identities (1.5) 1.5
- MKTG-655 Entertainment Marketing (1.5) 1.5
- MKTG-661 Data Driven Marketing and Customer Management (3) 3
- MKTG-763 Overview of Integrated Marketing Communications (1.5) 1.5
- MKTG-765 Brand Strategy (3) 3
- MKTG-767 Research for Marketing Decisions (3) 3
Capstone Experience (6 credit hours)
- MKTG-688 Applied Client Project (3) 3 (6 credit hours required)
Electives (6 credit hours)
Complete 6 credit hours from the following:
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor's/master's programs. Advanced undergraduates admitted to a combined degree program that includes a master's degree from Kogod are eligible to take graduate-level courses and may apply up to 9 graduate credit hours earned as an undergraduate toward the requirements for both degrees. See Combined Bachelor's and Kogod School of Business Master's Programs for more information.