The Master of Science in Sustainability Management (MSSM) program offers an interdisciplinary degree with courses from Kogod, the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of International Service, and the School of Public Affairs.
The MSSM can be completed on a full or part-time basis. If taken full-time, students can complete the program in four semesters and take nine to 12 credit hours per semester.
The program is 36 credit hours total. It builds on an interdisciplinary core that combines business, science, and policy before allowing students to specialize in their primary interest. Students may choose from tailored elective track offerings in Business, Environmental Science, Public Policy, or a customized specialization.
The MSSM core curriculum was designed by an interdisciplinary faculty team from across the University to provide students with a holistic understanding of sustainability management from the perspectives of business, environmental science, and public policy. The core is inspired by courses such as:
- Environmental Science
- Financial Analysis
- Sustainability Systems: Legal, Regulatory, and Policy Issues
- Sustainability Strategy and Management
- Marketing Management
- Environmental Sustainability and Public Policy
- Environment and Politics
Students choose from elective credit hours, which may be pursued in a track format or tailored for a specialized interest. Sample tracks and courses within them include:
- Environmental Economics
- International Dimensions in Management
- Management Communication for Social Responsibility
- Peace Through Commerce Practicum
- Change and Innovation
- Urban Planning and Sustainability
- Science, the Environment, and the Media
- Marine Conservation
- Environmental Risk Assessment
- Water Resources
- Resource Sustainability
- Statistical Methods
- Public Policies for Environment and Energy
- Environment and Development
- Global Economy and Sustainable Development
- Climate Change Finance
- Political Ecology of Food and Agriculture
- Sustainable Design/LEED Training
- Water Governance
Students in the MSSM have access to the full range of services provided by the Kogod Center for Career Development. Students are encouraged to seek an internship between the first two semesters and their last two semesters.