Kogod Laptop Requirement
All Kogod students will need a personal laptop for use in a number of Kogod classes. Additionally, Kogod courses require that students use Office 365 Pro Plus for all quantitative assignments; this application software operates ONLY in a Microsoft Windows operating environment. Although Kogod strongly recommends Windows laptops, Apple Macintosh laptops are acceptable when configured to meet the specified software requirements detailed in the section below.
Please check the laptop requirement compliance by following this flowchart.
Kogod follows the general OIT recommendations for Windows and Mac* laptops:
*Mac users will be required to partition their hard disk with Boot Camp and install Windows on a second partition. There are a number of instructions online for installing Windows in Boot Camp.
Students should have at least 100GB available for the Windows partition. Students are responsible for ensuring that they have sufficient hard disk space to load special software and data that may be required for certain classes.
Students are required to have the following software installed in their laptops:
- Windows 7 or higher running on a native partition. Kogod recommends Windows laptops. However, Macintosh laptops are acceptable, provided that they have Windows 7 or higher installed on a second partition with Boot Camp (please note that some of the software required does not work with programs like VMWare or Parallels, so a boot partition is required). Please follow these instructions for installing Windows in Boot Camp.
- MS Office 365 ProPlus installed in the Windows environment OR purchase MS Office Professional for Windows, which includes: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, Outlook, OneNote.
- Latest Java and Flash plugins.
- Any additional software required in the syllabus. Students enrolled in Finance elective courses, BSF or MSF will need STATA.
- At least 6 hours of battery life. (We recommend purchasing an extra battery if the laptop has a removable battery.)
- Students will need full Administrator rights on their computers. (Kogod and OIT cannot support computers on which the user doesn't have full access rights.)
- Students will need to keep the software up to date, run antivirus scans, and fix hardware and software problems in a timely manner. Students are responsible for keeping their laptops in working order and to consult with OIT to resolve any issues they may be experiencing.