Internship For Credit
Please note that the information below pertains to students enrolled in an on-campus graduate program.
What you need to know:
- Students with an AU established GPA of 3.0 or higher may choose to register for 1, 2, or 3 credits.
Number of Credits 1 2 3 Min. Number of Internship Hours 70 140 210
- Students may not receive credit twice for the same internship at the same company, unless the internship positions or work experiences are different.
- A maximum of 3 credits of internship credit may be used to satisfy electives within certain programs. Consult with your advisor to determine how internship for credit will fit into your academic plan.
- Internships must be taken Pass/Fail (not for a letter grade).
- Internships must be completed during the semester for which the credit is registered and students may not earn credit retroactively for a previous internship.
- Internships for credit may be paid or unpaid, but must be substantive in nature requiring no more than 15% of low-level administrative responsibilities.
- Students must secure their internship before they can begin the registration process. For help with your internship search, contact a Kogod Career Advisor.
- F-1 visa holders must have lived and studied in the U.S. for one academic year, excluding summer, in order to be eligible.
- Students who have completed previous internships at other U.S. institutions should consult with ISSS to determine how multiple internships may impact their eligibility for CPT.
- Registration of internship credit is required in order to initiate CPT work authorization process. Consult with ISSS for details. Registration of credit takes 1-2 days, at which point ISSS will start your CPT paperwork, which can take up to 3-5 business days. You may not intern before the start date issued on your CPT. Plan ahead to ensure all paperwork is completed on time.
How to register:
- Consult with your academic advisor to determine if you are eligible to pursue an internship for credit.
- Complete the
internship registration form being sure to answer every question and leave no field blank.
Note: Course number is subject prefix (ex ACCT), course number (691), section number (001 for 1 cr, 002 for 2 cr, 003 for 3 cr). Example: student doing a 3-credit Management internship would use MGMT-691-003.
- Obtain Faculty Advisor Signature. Meet with the faculty advisor to determine learning outcomes, review syllabus outlining academic requirements to earn the credit.
• Accounting: Emily Lindsay, CPA, KSB 14, (202) 885-1902
• Finance: Dr. Peter Chinloy, KSB 229, (202) 885-1951
• Information Systems: Dr. Richard Gibson, KSB 24, (202) 885-2735
• International Business: Bob Sicina, KSB 223, (202) 885-1858
• ITEC: Dr. Richard Gibson, KSB 24, (202) 885-2735
• Management: Dr. Alex Mislin, KSB 211, (202) 885-1919
• Marketing: Mike Carberry, KSB 28, (202) 885-1934
- Obtain ISSS signature if you are an international student.
- Obtain employer signature. No other information from your employer will be needed.
- Submit completed form, with all required signatures, to your advisor, or email to email@example.com. Your advisor will submit to the registrar's office for processing. Please allow 1-2 days.