Skip to main content
Expand AU Menu

Undergraduate Advising Information

Advisor Appointment Scheduling

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?
To schedule an appointment with an academic advisor, visit

  • If you do not see an available time slot, click "next week" to view additional appointments. Appointments are posted one week in advance. If you do not see appointments listed, please check back for updates.
  • If your advisor does not have a time that is convenient, you may choose to meet with a different advisor who is available at the time you prefer. All advisors can assist you equally.
  • If you need to speak with an advisor immediately, or there are no available appointments left, please call (202) 885-1914 or stop by KSB 106 and ask to speak to the next available advisor during walk-in hours.

Please note that during the first two weeks of the semester, advisors will be available for walk-in appointments only. Stop by KSB106 and sign in to see an advisor. Scheduled appointments will be available online starting the third week of classes each semester.

How do I cancel an appointment with my advisor?
Should you be unable to make your appointment, please call (202) 885-1914 by 5:00 p.m. the previous business day. To cancel at least 24 hours prior to this appointment, follow the instructions in the confirmation email that you received when you scheduled the appointment so that another student can sign up for that time slot.


What do I need to do to be cleared to register for classes?
Registration clearance announcements and instructions will be posted in the BizUndergrad newsletter that is emailed to you each Tuesday. Make sure that you read BizUndergrad to ensure that you are not missing this and other important information.

Announcements are also archived on Kogod's blackboard site. Follow each step in the process completely to avoid delays in your registration clearance.

My resume has not changed, do I need to upload a new one every semester?
Yes! You must upload a new revised resume EVERY semester in order to be cleared to register. Make sure that your contact information, GPA, relevant coursework, and experience (internships, study abroad, case competition, student organizations, work/volunteer) are up to date. If you had nothing new to add this semester, then you should consider what you can do in the upcoming semester to expand the experience portion of your resume. Talk to a Kogod Career Advisor or your Academic Advisor or visit the K-LAB to explore your options. Earning a degree alone is not sufficient to compete in today’s job market therefore it is essential for you to build your resume throughout your college career.

I can't log onto CareerSource. What should I do?
Call (202) 885-1908 or stop by Kogod's Center for Career Development for assistance. You may need to have your password reset.

I uploaded my resume and updated CareerSource, but I still can't register.
There are a few different reasons why you may not be able to register. Please review all of the possible solutions before contacting an academic advisor.

  • Solution 1: You may need to follow the second step outlined in the registration clearance announcement, which states that you need to go to and click the link "online registration authorization request." Please allow one business day from the time you click this link for your request to be processed. Once processed, you will receive an email indicating that you have been cleared to register.
  • Solution 2: You may be trying to register before your registration date. Please check your registration date by going to your portal, clicking "course registration" and then clicking "registration dates." Review the number of credits you have completed in the Overall Current Earned section of your Degree Audit Report . Note that the credits you are currently registered for do not count as completed credits. Only courses for which you have received a grade, transferred from another institution, and received from exams (AP, IB, CLEP, A Levels) are calculated into your completed credits.
  • Solution 3: You may have a financial hold on your account.  Check Eagle Finance to see if you have an outstanding balance that needs to be paid. If you do, please contact Student Accounts to resolve the balance and ask to have your financial hold lifted.

I'm trying to register for a class, but it won't let me register for it.
Check the pre-requisites for the course to ensure you have met them.  Also check the section number of the class you are trying to register for. If the section number has an "H" after it that means that section is reserved for students enrolled in the Honors program and you may not be eligible to register for that section. Likewise, if the section has "UC" after it, this section is available only to students accepted into the University College program. Sections with a "T" after it are available only to students accepted into the Washington Mentorship program. If these are not the reasons, then contact an academic advisor for assistance.

How do I get into a class that I am waitlisted for?
You will receive an email from the Registrar when you become the next person on the waitlist eligible to register. When you receive the email, register for the course as you would any other course. There is a deadline so make sure you register for the course by the time indicated in your email. Waitlist emails are sent every day, including weekends and holidays, so check your email every day so that you do not miss your opportunity. If you do not register by the deadline in your email, then no one, not even an academic advisor, can register you for the course. You will have to add yourself to the waitlist again.

Can an instructor give me permission to register for the class, even though I am not the next person on the waitlist?
No! If you are number 3 on the waitlist, then the instructor would have to open 3 seats so that you and the others in front of you can all register. There is no exception to this.

I can register for my waitlisted class now. What do I do?
Before you register for your waitlisted course, make sure that the new course will not conflict with the rest of your schedule. If there are no conflicts, register for the course just as you would for any other course. When adding and/or dropping courses, be sure to double check your schedule to ensure the correct courses were added/dropped and keep a screenshot of the schedule for your records.

What happens if I drop a class after the add/drop date?
Refer to the academic calendar through your portal to view the deadline date for "Last day to add a course or change a grade option/Last day to drop a course for a 100% and without a "W" recorded." If you drop a course after this date, then you will NOT be entitled to a full refund and you will receive a "W" on your transcript for "Withdraw." If you are planning to attend graduate school then having too many "W's" on your transcript may not look good, however having one or two "W's" is not generally problematic. Note: There are additional deadlines to receive a 50% refund, 25% refund, or no refund. After the "Last day to drop a class (mid-term)", you can no longer withdraw from a course at all.

How can I register for more than 17 credits?
Students taking more than 17 credits will be charged roughly an extra $1,250 for each credit hour beyond 17 credits. Students with a strong academic record may seek approval from an academic advisor to take an overload. Note that this option is not available to incoming freshman or transfer students during their first semester at AU.  If you would like to take an overload to "catch up" then you should review your academic plan with an academic advisor first to determine whether or not this option is beneficial in terms of money or time.


How do I complete an internship for credit?
To review the requirements and process to complete an internship for credit, please click here.

What do I need to do if I want to study abroad?
If you plan to study abroad for the summer, semester, or year, you must complete the following steps in addition to your AU Abroad application:

  • Review the requirements for Kogod students to study abroad here.
  • Complete the Kogod Study Abroad Approval form, located in the Resources section of this page. Then schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to submit the completed form. Academic advisors will not approve your abroad request until this has been completed.  Please review the course offerings for the program you are considering prior to meeting with your advisor.
  • Send the electronic Authorization/Recommendation link from AU Abroad to your academic advisor for final approval. Reminder: You must complete step 2 before your Authorization/Recommendation will be approved.
  • Complete the Course Equivalency Form found on the AU Abroad website in the Courses and Credits section. This form should be completed and submitted to AU Abroad prior to departure. Please note that your Kogod academic advisor can only approve business courses for this form. All other courses must be approved from the academic department relevant to the course (a history course would have to be approved by the history department).

Can I take courses at another school and transfer the credit?
No. Once a student is fully admitted to American University, the Kogod School of Business will no longer accept credits for any course taken at another institution regardless of if the course is taken during the academic year or during the summer (unless taken through an approved study abroad program). Students may earn credit over the summer by taking courses on campus, taking online courses offered by AU, or by completing an internship for credit (internships can be completed from anywhere).  If there is a course that you need to take over the summer in order to be on track for graduation and AU is not offering the course, please speak with an academic advisor.

For more information about summer courses visit this page.
For more information about online courses visit this page.
For more information about doing an internship for credit visit this page.
For more information about summer programs offered abroad visit this page.

I'm thinking of adding a major/minor or second specialization.

  • Business major considering a business minor: Students cannot complete a minor in the same school they are completing their major. If you are a business student, you can complete a second specialization, but not a business minor. Each specialization is 12 credits, which would be subtracted from your available Free Elective credits. If you have questions about your academic plan, schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor.
  • Non-business major considering a business minor: Visit this page to view the available business minors and schedule an appointment with a Kogod advisor at if you have questions or if you would like to declare your minor.
  • Business major considering a non-business major/minor: Visit to view the available majors/minors. Determine the school or department through which the major/minor is offered (example CAS, SPA, SIS, etc.) Contact an advisor from that school or department to discuss the major/minor requirements and process for declaring the major/minor. Kogod advisors can only provide advising for business majors or business minors.
  • Business major considering adding a second specialization: Visit to view the available specializations listed in the BS Business Administration link. If you have 12 credits or more of free electives available and you do not plan to complete an additional major/minor, then adding a second specialization should not impact your expected graduation date. You cannot have courses double-count between 2 specializations. Each specialization must include 12 credits independent of one another. Contact your advisor if you would like to review your plan or declare a second specialization.

What are my graduation/degree requirements?
To view a complete list of your degree requirements, including course and GPA requirements, as well as to review which courses must be taken as a letter grade (A-F) and earn a C or better in, visit Select the degree you are pursing and click the Degree Overview link for that degree.

How do I view which requirements I have met and which ones are still incomplete?
You can review your Degree Audit Report by logging onto your portal, clicking Academics, and then clicking View Degree Audit Report (DARS). This report will show you which requirements you have completed, which are in progress, and which have not yet been started. If you find any discrepancies on your report, or if you have questions about your report, please contact an academic advisor.

How do I know which general education courses to take for each area?
To view a list of General Education courses and their clusters visit:
For more information about the General Education Program visit:
To view FAQs for the General Education Program visit:

Which General Education classes will double count for a business major?

  • All business majors (BSBA, BLC, BAM, and BSA) must take ECON-100 and ECON-200 to fulfill Area 4: SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS of the general education requirements.
  • BAM students must also take PERF-110 and either PERF-205 or PERF-210 to fulfill Area 1: THE CREATIVE ARTS in addition to ECON-100 and ECON-200.
  • BLC students must also take ANTH-225 to fulfill the second-level of Area 1: THE CREATIVE ARTS in addition to ECON-100 and ECON-200.
  • NOTE: The following courses will NOT count as General Education credit for business majors:
  • ECON-110:  No more than 2 classes with the same prefix (ex. ECON) can be taken for general education credit and business students are already required to take ECON-100 and ECON-200. This course can be taken to fulfill a Foreign Language/Cross-Cultural requirement or Free Elective.
  • FIN-200: This course is an Area 4 General Education Course and business students will already complete Area 4 with ECON-100 and ECON-200. This course can be taken to fulfill a Free Elective.

Which classes am I not allowed to take as a business major?
Do NOT take the following courses if you are a business major. You will NOT receive credit of any kind for these classes:

  • IBUS-200: You will take IBUS-300 as a business major instead of this course as part of your business core requirements. IBUS-200 is specifically for non-business students only as outlined in the course description.
  • MKTG-250: You will take MKTG-300 as a business major instead of this course as part of your business core requirements. MKTG-250 is specifically for non-business majors only as outlined in the course description (but can be taken by students with a business minor.)

What is the difference between a double-major and a dual-degree?
A student with a double major would complete course requirements for both majors and must complete a total of 120 credits. This student would receive only one degree. For example, a student with their first major in business with a finance specialization and a second major in economics would receive one degree: BS Business Administration with a specialization in finance. The transcript would show the second major, but this will not be listed on the degree.

A student with a dual degree would complete course requirements for both majors and must complete a total of 150 credits. This student would receive two separate degrees and diplomas, one for each major.

I am getting ready to graduate, what do I need to do?
There are 2 steps involved in the graduation application process. Note: BOTH steps are required to complete the graduation application process.

Graduation Clearance: Follow the instructions outlined in the weekly BizUndergrad and Kogod’s Blackboard site to meet with the Graduation Clearance advisor during the semester prior to graduation to become cleared to graduate. This step ensures that students are eligible to graduate. If you have questions about your graduation clearance, contact the Kogod’s academic advising team at or 202-885-1914.

Graduation Application: Apply for graduation online through your portal during the semester that you plan to graduate.  Students do not automatically graduate as soon as they earn 120 credits, therefore, this step alerts AU’s Record Services team that you are ready and intend to graduate in that semester. Announcements will be made when it is time to apply for graduation. Be sure to note the deadline as late applicants risk not having their names published in the commencement program.  If you have questions about your online graduation application, please email or call 202-885-2236.

For more information about graduation and commencement, visit

I plan to graduate in December (or I plan to graduate in August). Can I still walk during commencement?
There is only one commencement ceremony per year. December graduates are invited to participate in the spring commencement that takes place in May. For example, if you are graduating in December 2011, then you may participate in the May 2012 ceremony. Note that December graduates will be invited to a reception in December.

August graduates who have no more than 8 credits to take in the summer session may be eligible to participate in the spring commencement. For example, if you have 6 credits left to complete in summer 2011, then you may apply to participate in the May 2011 ceremony. For more information, refer to the announcements posted in the weekly BizUndergrad newsletter and Kogod’s blackboard site.

Summer graduates who have more than 8 credits to take in the summer session must wait until the following spring ceremony.  For example, if you have more than 8 credits left to complete in summer 2011, then you are not eligible to participate in the May 2011 ceremony, but may participate in the May 2012 ceremony.

For more information about graduation and commencement, visit


What are the requirements to make Dean’s List?
Students must complete at least 15 credits, of which at least 12 credits must be taken for a letter grade of A-F, and must achieve a grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Students who receive an incomplete grade (“I”) during the semester are not eligible to make the Dean’s List.

What are the Latin Honors requirements?
Latin Honors will be awarded based on the student’s cumulative grade point average:

  • Summa cum laude 3.90 or higher
  • Magna cum laude 3.70-3.89
  • Cum laude 3.50-3.69

What resources can I use on campus to help boost my GPA?
The Academic Support Center offers the following services for all students. To find more information about any of these services, visit

  • Supplemental Instruction is available every Fall and Spring semester for ECON-100, ECON-200, MATH-211, STAT-202, ACCT-240 and ACCT-241. Supplemental Instruction (SI) is like a group study session that is led by a student who has successfully completed the course and attends lectures once a week to be familiar with the material. SI leaders then facilitate weekly study sessions using the concepts covered in class. Students do not need to register to attend and may attend as little or as often as they like.  This service is free. Visit the Academic Support Center's website for the SI schedule.
  • Individual Tutoring is available for nearly every subject. Students can submit a tutor request form found on the Academic Support Center’s website to be matched with an individual tutor. Fees may apply.
  • Writing Lab is available to all students who would like help brain-storming topics, organizing papers, writing a thesis statement, or who have other questions about improving any written assignment. This service is free.
    Academic Skills Workshops are available to all students and cover topics such as Time Management, Effective Reading, Note-taking Skills, Test-Preparation, Overcoming Procrastination, Writing, and more. This service is free.

Other resources include:

  • Writing Center is a second resource for students seeking assistance with their writing skills. To view the location and hours, visit the Writing Center website.
  • Kogod's Center for Business Communications is a resource available to Kogod students who would like to polish their business writing, public speaking, and team presentations.
  • Math Lab is available for students needing assistance with math through calculus and basic statistics. To view the location and hours, visit the Math Lab's website.
  • Office Hours are made available to students by every professor. Students have discovered it is helpful to meet with their instructors to discuss upcoming assignments, review quizzes/exams, inquire about extra credit opportunities, or clarify material presented in class. Contact your professor if your schedule conflicts with their office hours to establish an alternative time to meet.

Which courses can I take P/F? How many courses can I take P/F?
General education courses and free elective courses can be taken P/F as long as it does not fulfill a major or minor requirement. To review which courses must be taken A-F for business majors, visit and select the degree overview for your major. Note that students are required to earn a C or better for each of these courses and failure to do so will result in needing to repeat the course.

If a class is taken P/F, then the grade for this course will not be calculated into the GPA. However, if a student earns an F for a class taken P/F, then the F will remain on the transcript, and the student will not receive credit for the course.

Students currently may take up to 50% of their courses P/F as long as the course(s) do not fulfill a major or minor requirement. If you plan to attend graduate school then having too many P/F courses on your transcript may not look good, however having two or three is not generally problematic. Also, in order to be eligible for Dean’s List during the semester, students must complete 15 credits of which at least 12 credits must be taken A-F.

How do I know what is considered a passing grade?
Students must earn a C or better in any course taken to fulfill a major or minor requirement. Students who earn below a C (C-, D, or F) for these courses are required to repeat the course. For all business majors, this includes LIT-100, LIT-101, MATH-211, STAT-202, ECON-100, ECON-200, all business core classes and specialization classes. BLC and BAM students have additional required courses. To view a complete list of courses that students must pass with a C or higher, click here and select the degree overview for your major. Students must also pass with a C or higher for courses taken to complete any other major or minor requirement. A grade of D or higher is considered passing for any general education courses and free electives that do not fulfill a major or minor requirement.

How does the Freshman Forgiveness rule work?
Freshman students in their first two full-time semesters at AU who earn a grade of F or X in a course are eligible to use Freshman Forgiveness. Freshman Forgiveness cannot be applied to courses where a C- or D has been earned.  A course in which a failing grade was earned due to an academic integrity code violation is NOT eligible for Freshman Forgiveness.

A student must repeat the course within one year from the time they took the course as a freshman. For example, if a student receives an F during the 2nd semester of their first year, then they must repeat the course no later than the 2nd semester of their second year. Once the course is repeated and Freshman Forgiveness has been applied, then only the second grade for the course is calculated in the student’s cumulative grade point average. The first grade, however, will remain on the student’s transcript. Once Freshman Forgiveness has been applied, a notation will be made on the student’s transcript indicating “Freshman Forgiveness Applies to xyz Course.” Students should follow up with an academic advisor if they do not see this notation in their transcript for the semester that the first course was taken as this indicates that the rule has not been applied.

I received a letter stating that I need to repeat a course. What do I need to know?
Students are responsible for earning a C or better in courses required for their major and minor. If a student receives below a C in one of these courses, then they must repeat the course. Credit will only be given once for the same course however both letter grades will be calculated into the cumulative grade point average. Before repeating a course, students should submit a “memo of success” to their academic advisor outlining why they were not successful in the course and what they specifically plan to do differently when repeating the course. Students should include any resources they intend to use when repeating the course (academic support center services, writing center, math/stats lab, office hours, etc.).

How do I go about getting an “Incomplete” for a course?
Instructors may give a student an “Incomplete” for a course if an agreement is established between the student and instructor. The agreement needs to include the work that needs to be done as well as the date by which the work must be completed. Academic regulations stipulate that the work be completed no later than the last day of the following semester, however the instructor can specify a due date that is sooner. Academic regulations also state that students must have completed at least 50% of their course work and must currently be passing the class in order to be eligible for an Incomplete. Instructors are not obligated to issue Incompletes but must adhere to academic regulations regarding Incompletes if they do so. Students considering an “Incomplete” should discuss their options directly with their instructor.

What is academic probation?
If a student’s cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, then they will receive a letter indicating that they will be placed on academic probation. The letter will specify the terms of their probation which must be met by the end of the semester. If a student does not meet the required probation terms, then they will be subject to academic dismissal.

How does a Leave of Absence or Voluntary Withdrawal work?
Students are allowed to take a temporary Leave of Absence (LOA) for up to one year if they are in good standing and intend to return to AU.  When on a Leave of Absence, the student remains an admitted student but may not take classes at any other institution while on leave. Students on LOA do not need to reapply to Admissions upon return.  Students considering a Leave of Absence should meet with their advisor BEFORE the add/drop deadline to avoid financial/academic penalties. In addition, students should meet with their academic advisor if they need to take a military leave of absence.

Students who no longer wish to take courses at AU must complete a Voluntary Withdrawal form before they leave campus and must reapply to the University for admission as a transfer student if they later decide to return to AU. Students who need to withdraw from AU should meet with an academic advisor to complete the process.

I received notification that I was financially dismissed. What should I do?
Meet with an academic advisor right away if you have been financially dismissed so that together you can determine what the best course of action is for you.  You must EITHER resolve your financial hold (pay your bill or establish payment options through AU Central) OR meet with an academic advisor to withdraw from your classes. Your courses are NOT automatically dropped if you are financially dismissed. If you do not withdraw from your classes and have not paid your bill, then you will fail your courses.

How do I request my transcript?
You can request an official transcript via the portal. Your request is processed by AU Central. For more information visit


Do I have to take the math placement exam?
Yes! Every student admitted to AU must take the math placement exam, even if the student plans to transfer math credits to AU. This exam will determine which level of math you can take. The math placement exam is given during orientation. No calculators are allowed, however, a sample exam is available upon request.

Which math classes do I need to take?
Applied Calculus (or Calculus I) and Basic Statistics are both required for all business majors. Students who transfer both of these courses into AU must either complete and pass the Math Equivalency Exam or take a math course here at AU to satisfy the University Requirements for math. If a student transfers in Calculus I (not Applied Calculus) from an approved institution with a grade of a B or better, then the student will fulfill this requirement and will not need to take the Math Equivalency Exam. The Math Equivalency Exam is only available to take once at the beginning of the semester and no retakes or alternative exam dates are permitted.  The date of the Math Equivalency Exam is published in the academic calendar. Sample exams are available upon request by contacting an academic advisor or the math department. Transfer students planning to transfer in both of these courses should contact their academic advisor for more information. NOTE: You must take the math placement exam, even if you have transferred in both math courses and plan to take the math equivalency exam. These are two separate exams that serve two separate purposes.

Do I need to take the Writing Proficiency Exam?
Only students who transferred in both LIT-100 and LIT-101 are required to take the Writing Proficiency Exam to fulfill the University Requirements for writing.  You must take the exam within the first semester at AU. If you plan to transfer in both writing courses, please contact your academic advisor and ask for the packet to help you prepare for this exam.  Workshops and support services are also available through the Writing Center.  Additional preparation material is available to pick-up in Battelle room 237. This exam may be taken up to 2 times. Students who fail the exam the second must take either LIT-100, LIT-101, LIT-102, or LIT-103 and must pass the course with a C or better.

Is attending orientation mandatory?
Yes. New students must attend orientation where they will take the math placement exam, meet with their academic advisors, make any schedule changes, and become familiar with campus. To register for orientation, visit If you cannot attend the orientation, please contact your academic advisor.

How will my exam credits transfer in (AP, CLEP, A Levels, IB)?
To view which General Education requirements can be fulfilled by AP, A Levels, CLEP, or IB exam scores, visit  Click on “Resources”, then “Credit by Exam.” AP credit will only be given for exams with a score of 4 or higher.  IB credit will only be given for the higher level exams (credit will not be given for the standard level). NOTE: Business students are required to take ECON-100 (4:1) and ECON-200(4:2) to fulfill Area 4 of the General Education requirements. Therefore, any general education course other than ECON-100 or ECON-200 that has a 4:1 or 4:2 after it will count as a free elective.
Contact your Academic Advisor if you have questions about an exam that does not appear on this list.